5w-30 vs 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have an lawnmower that states in the manual 5w-30 below 32F and 30 above 32F.. I didnt read that until after I did the oil change and put in 5w30.. That being said its summer here and aound 80-90F.. Should I drain my mower again and go get some 30 or stick with the 5w-30?

What kind of 5w30 did you use? If it was cheap run of the mill dino, I wouldn't count on it to hold up to the heat the air cooled engine can dish out.

I run 5w30 PP in my 24HP Briggs and stratton in my Yt4000 Craftsman lawn tractor. I also run a Motorcraft FL400 filter instead of the small hockeypuck B&S filter.

No problems.

Those charts are weird.
One says 30 weight is only good for 50f to 75f and then use 20w50
And they act like 10w30 is an Arctic grade.

It kind of is for splash oiled air-cooled small motors
smile.gif

B&S latest recommendation for all their engines is 5w30 synthetic or 10w30 Dino. You don't say which engine or size. Ed

Last edited:
You are talking about a very small quantity of oil. I would run it once, then drain and refill with SAE 30. Look at it like a great "flush out" that will clean the internals of your OPE.

Conventional 5W30 will get consumed rather quickly. No need to change it out. Just keep it topped off. Use SAE30 or synthetic 10W30 for your top up oil.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
B&S latest recommendation for all their engines is 5w30 synthetic or 10w30 Dino. You don't say which engine or size. Ed

I've seen their chart. They act like 10w30 has yet to be invented in FS. Flavors...

If you want to ignore the chart and use an oil that will cover you for just about everything just use a good 15w-40 or 5w-40 HDEO and be done with it. I'm partial to Rotella T6 myself, usually have a couple quarts left over when I change the oil in my truck which take care of the lawn mower and snowblower in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back