Valve stem cracks on a tire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd replace them if they are cracking.

I noticed that the ones on the F-350 were getting a bit old. Last wednesday, I took the spare tire and jack out before i left for work and at the stoplight infront of the office, the valve stem blew out. Had to pay $20 for something I can do myself!

But to replace them , you do have to break down the tire at least enough to get a new valvestem in.

Yea, I am definitely going to replace them sooner than later!

Think, I'll try to see of I can do it while wheel is on the motorcycle. If not, might have to remove for breaking the bead.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Yea, I am definitely going to replace them sooner than later!

Think, I'll try to see of I can do it while wheel is on the motorcycle. If not, might have to remove for breaking the bead.

You have to pop the bead. Can not be done from the outside.

its always good practice to replace the stems anytime a tire is dismounted.

car tires are a bit easier to deal with as it is possible to change the stem without dismounting it

bike tires are more difficult unfortunately and usually need to be dismounted from the rim to replace the stem.

Originally Posted By: Black_Thunder
its always good practice to replace the stems anytime a tire is dismounted.

car tires are a bit easier to deal with as it is possible to change the stem without dismounting it

bike tires are more difficult unfortunately and usually need to be dismounted from the rim to replace the stem.

Thanks for your valuable input. Question, is the valve stem same as used in a car or different?

1st off if you have wire wheels you have an inner tube.

My Virago had a bolt-through metal valve stem that was quite rugged.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
1st off if you have wire wheels you have an inner tube.

My Virago had a bolt-through metal valve stem that was quite rugged.

Mine are definitely tubeless and not wired ones.

Get those replaced NOW!! I've had a couple valves fail and it is just like getting an instantaneous flat. You don't want that to happen at speed on a motorcycle!

Yes, the valves are the same as for passenger cars.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Get those replaced NOW!! I've had a couple valves fail and it is just like getting an instantaneous flat. You don't want that to happen at speed on a motorcycle!

Thanks very much, are removal and installation of valve stem pretty straight forward? I know would have to remove the wheel, break the bead after removing the stem core.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

So something like this would work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-pieces-TR413-Wheel-Tire-Valve-Stems-Short-Black-Rubber-BMW-E90-F30-F10-F1-/331488137188?hash=item4d2e3b8fe4:g:H2oAAOSwEetWBEhH&vxp=mtr

I am planning to DIY, hence asking above
smile.gif

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back