Roku Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Just an opinion. If you sign up for a pay channel and just cancel it on your TV or computer without going to their website. You haven cancelled it.

I signed up for "Sling TV". Cancelledit within the free period. I missed it for 6 months on my cc. Yea shame on me. I skim it every month but... duhhh

Last edited:
That's right you removed it from your device. You have to go to slingtv.com and cancel your account.

Roku has the stupid terminology of "subscribing" to channels

Instead of adding the slingtv app to your roku (what anyone else would call it)

you "subscribed to slingtv channel"

So unsubscribing is only removing the app from your roku.. not canceling your slingtv account.

OTOH slingtv actually works on my roku.. when I would use the windows app the sound would slowly desync being as much as 1-2seconds off from the video.

Sling TV is an app for a third party service, Roku is a piece of hardware that let's you access it. Did you just delete the app?

I had Sling for a while. The app is still on my Roku.I went on the Sling web site and canceled it. I might want to get it again over the winter so I left it on the Roku.

When they charged me for my second month they sent me an email thanking me for payment.

Last edited:
Sling is awful.

They won't tell you that you won't be getting local channels because you're outside the subscriber area. You have to sign up and pay money first. There's no DVR feature, what's on it on and if you miss it, oh well. It's like they've never heard of the Internet and computers or something. I have no desire to go back to broadcast TV UNLESS IT'S FREE... which it is. So, I did. Well, it cost me an antenna and a cable. That and Netflix and I'm set.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Sling is awful.

They won't tell you that you won't be getting local channels because you're outside the subscriber area. You have to sign up and pay money first. There's no DVR feature, what's on it on and if you miss it, oh well. It's like they've never heard of the Internet and computers or something. I have no desire to go back to broadcast TV UNLESS IT'S FREE... which it is. So, I did. Well, it cost me an antenna and a cable. That and Netflix and I'm set.

Nope they don't charge until after the free trial is over.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Sling TV is an app for a third party service, Roku is a piece of hardware that let's you access it. Did you just delete the app?

I guess the interesting thing is that you "subscribe" to Sling wiothout going to their site. So you sign up on roku but have to go to their sight to delete. Again..live and learn (for me)( But its still disreputable (IMHO).

Again not defending my stupidity. Just trying to help others.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Yes, sounds like that is what he did.

Im surprised at some of the comments, but then again, not surprised.

Bottom line, Ruku is a fantastic device, god hundreds and hundreds (if not more) of free content.
We happen to subscribe to Netflex and Hulu plus through our Ruku, we also get over 25 channels for free through our attic antenna giving all 4 TVs in our home all major network TV stations in BETTER quality then you can possibly get through pay TV such as cable and Dish TV etc.

We have owned/do own 4 Ruku players some dating back years. They have been flawless. How anyone can pay for TV is beyond me.
We have been pay TV free for over 5 years now.

AS far as Sling, wow, its great! We do not subscribe but we do for a few months in the winter. If you like sports, you can get Sling and ESPN for $20 a month plus some other cable channels.

As the OP has learned, if you SUBSCRIBE to a pay TV service, then know the proper way to cancel it.
RUKU is a MEDIA PLAYER, if you subscribe to something and do not want it any more know the proper way to cancel it.
Its easy as heck to cancel, takes literally seconds.

We never had any issues at all canceling Sling. We tried two free trials during sports season. Sling is great IF you want those channels, you can subscribe and cancel at any time you are not using it. No contracts, no games, no boloney.

I`ve had no issues with my Roku 3 on the living room set or the Roku stick on my bedroom set. I have Sling that is the only one I pay for and my daughter pays for the Netflix because they already had it on their laptop. Plus I have antenna tv which is used about 80% of the time. I dropped Direct TV , and although it worked fine for me I don`t miss it. I have a ton of free channels loaded on the Roku , but I just don`t spend a lot of time watching them. Most of what I do watch on the Roku is Sling TV or You Tube. I pay a total of $20 a month for my Roku channels (Sling) and thats a lot cheaper than the basic Direct TV programming I had. I highly recommend it in place of cable or satellite tv.

I`ve had no issues with my Roku 3 on the living room set or the Roku stick on my bedroom set. I have Sling that is the only one I pay for and my daughter pays for the Netflix because they already had it on their laptop. Plus I have antenna tv which is used about 80% of the time. I dropped Direct TV , and although it worked fine for me I don`t miss it. I have a ton of free channels loaded on the Roku , but I just don`t spend a lot of time watching them. Most of what I do watch on the Roku is Sling TV or You Tube. I pay a total of $20 a month for my Roku channels (Sling) and thats a lot cheaper than the basic Direct TV programming I had. I highly recommend it in place of cable or satellite tv.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

We never had any issues at all canceling Sling. We tried two free trials during sports season. Sling is great IF you want those channels, you can subscribe and cancel at any time you are not using it. No contracts, no games, no boloney.

I also love Roku or rather my wife does!
I understand and I am not saying I was not stupid. Just warning others. But the reality is that you sign up on Roku and cancel from Sling. Thats intended to catch dummies like me who logically assume that you cancell it the same way. Seems pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Quit skimming those credit card statements Al. Look more closely, then show my wife how to do it correctly.....lol
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back