New 7hp generator oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought this Walter Werkzeuge generator in Hofer. It's Austrian branded, probably Chinese built unit. Original recommendation is SAE 15w30. Can I use 5w40 A3/B4, LL01, 229.5 oil I have on hand or it's better I find 15w30?

Almost sounds like Polaris creating thier own special weights of oil.
My opinion: 10w30 would work, 5w40 would work about anything but cooking oil would work.

I would run the 5w40 with confidence. That is a very cheap, cheesy Chinese generator. We have the equivalent here at a store called Harbor Freight.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I would run the 5w40 with confidence. That is a very cheap, cheesy Chinese generator. We have the equivalent here at a store called Harbor Freight.

Well, castings and general fit and finish doesn't seem bad- for a Chinese product. I saw worse like my trimmer for example. All I need from it is camper service- lights,TV,radio..
Manual say 20 hours first OCI, afterwards every 100h/1year. I'll do 10 hours OC, after will see.

For 250 Euros, three years warranty, can't expect much. Hope it will work.

Last edited:
For fine electronic (TV...radio...tablets) it is SAFER to have inverter generator...

I bought parkside 1200w (PGI 1200 B2 model) inverter 2 weeks ago in Lidl... (Chonda...Zipper...Elektro Machinen clone)

My manual say use 15w40 ONLY (LoL)...I have already put in Shell 5w40 in it

You want to use synthetic oil in any AIR cooled OPE...

Last edited:
Oh I'm not planning feeding any "fine" electronics- only specials from Lidl, Kaufland and Pevec,lol.

Thanks for the tip on inverters, albeit bit late. Could use that price difference on beer money.

Edit:
What about that old wisdom of using mineral when running in, or that isn't necessary with fine Chinese metallurgy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri

Edit:
What about that old wisdom of using mineral when running in, or that isn't necessary with fine Chinese metallurgy?

I must admit that I first heard that "tale" here on BITOG.....lets NOT complicate things when NOT necessary
grin.gif

P.S.: I am happy that "we" are more pragmatic here on the other side of the pond
smile.gif
(life becomes easier that way!)

Anyway...I had already put in a few drops of one old 2stroke oil into generator gas tank (just to Help at initial break in)...1:100 ratio will be enough for repeling mosquitoes away from picnic place this weekend
smile.gif

Its too old to be consumed in my 2stroke equipement so I will consume it that way

And its MINERAL...
grin.gif

Last edited:
I haven't got any time on me until the weekend. Have to work
frown.gif

Will get back if that sucker works. Hope it doesn't catch fire.

This memorial post is dedicated to our dear European friend chrisri, who tragically stopped posting after his generator presumably caught fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back