First oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2016 Civic EX Turbo with only 500 miles and the maintenance minder says that my oil level is at 10% and it is 12 months old. I have read that this car has a special factory fill for the 600 mile breaking period. (Maybe I read that incorrectly, or the information was wrong.)

Is that true about the special oil? Should I get the oil changed now because it has been 12 months or wait for the 600 miles or longer? Why does the A service say "without oil filter"?

"If a Maintenance Minder indicator does not appear more than 12 months after the display is reset, change the engine oil every year.
NOTE: Inspect idle speed every 160,000 miles (256,000 km).
Adjust the valves during services A, B, 1, 2, or 3 if they are noisy.

Symbol / Maintenance Main Items
A. Replace engine oil
- Engine oil capacity without oil filter
1.5 L engine models: 3.2 L (3.4 US qt)
2.0 L engine models: 4.0 L (4.2 US qt)

B. Replace engine oil and oil filter
- Engine oil capacity with oil filter
1.5 L engine models: 3.5 L (3.7 US qt)
2.0 L engine models: 4.2 L (4.4 US qt)"

Regardless of the owner's manual, I'd change it. Good rule of thumb is 12 months if it's used pretty much daily but not enough miles to exceed the interval. Considering it's your first change and it's got that much age on it I'd certainly change the oil and filter.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
10% and the maintenance minder hasn't gone off? When does it go off? 5%?

It shows up at 15%. I am assuming OP wrote that wrong and the oil life is still at 90%.

The oil should also be changed at 1 year.

Last edited:
Leave it. Total waste to dump. Likely the best oil that engine will see. I would though consult with dealer about warranty FIRSTLY though.

The oil chemistry will preserve the oil through next year - regardless of rules of thumb - a rule of law which applies to the size of the switch you are allowed to cane your spouse with - not oil.

Lightly used oil = less engine wear than NEW oil.

Last edited:
Oil level is fine and clean. Yes the MM went on at 15%, but I really don't drive it too often - obviously.
Can anyone confirm what I read about a "special factory fill" for the break-in period?

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Only 500 miles on the clock and the MM is saying it's down to 10%? How is that even possible?

It probably takes time into account as well.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I would though consult with dealer about warranty FIRSTLY though.

We say to do it at the one year mark, so does the owners manual.

Originally Posted By: Matagonka
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Only 500 miles on the clock and the MM is saying it's down to 10%? How is that even possible?

It probably takes time into account as well.

Would be the first Honda/Acura that does that. Have never seen one that does.

OP, are you sure you are not just looking at the trip meter and not the actual mileage?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
OP, are you sure you are not just looking at the trip meter and not the actual mileage?

He also stated "the MM went on at 15%" so it sounds like he's understanding / reading it correctly. It definitely sounds like the MM has a "clock" counter factored in too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I am assuming OP wrote that wrong and the oil life is still at 90%.

Not so funny misunderstanding of the MM that I found while Googling oil change intervals related to newer Civics:

Quote:
A buddy of mine works at a Honda dealership and someone brought in a car overflowing with oil. See, the owner thought the "oil life" was "oil level" and ended up pouring multiple quarts of excess oil into the car. Not surprisingly the oil life meter didn't change throughout the process.

Yes I am reading it correctly. I really don't drive much, so that is why the car is 1 year old with 500 miles. I just thought it was strange that the MM was telling me the oil was at 15% at the one year mark. I have checked it and it is full and clean. A few weeks ago, the MM said it was 10%. I have checked it and again the oil on the stick is full and clean. That is why I am questioning it.

Why does Honda say to only replace engine oil and not the filter with an "A" service? All of my previous Honda's were always oil and filter.

Because an oil filter (or pretty much any filter) becomes more efficient the dirtier it gets... to a point. Leaving it on for a second OCI is actually a good thing for a clean-ish engine but most people like me are too OCD to do that.

With such low use I'd bet there's moisture and fuel in the oil. Even if there is none, 500miles is about the farthest you should go on the FF.

Fluid&filter and you're golden
smile.gif

If the OP took delivery a year ago he should change the oil to preserve the warranty. But Honda still recommends keeping the ff in for a full OCI to allow its high molybdenum content to protect the engine during the break-in period. Presumably 500 miles in a year is outside the conditions Honda would consider "normal" and Honda's two desires are somewhat at odds with one another.

There are a number of posts here about why Honda has a "molybdenum Jones": mightymousetech in particular has good information direct from Honda that points out why this is important. While I doubt the OP will go this far, a way out of this conundrum would be to change the ff and replace it with a high-molybdenum oil. Mazda 0w-20 is the most obvious example. While Honda's official break-in period is 600 miles, the long first OCI recommendation suggests Honda believes it spans a much longer period.

Originally Posted By: Olas
With such low use I'd bet there's moisture and fuel in the oil. Even if there is none, 500miles is about the farthest you should go on the FF.

What sort of data do you have to support that statement?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
What sort of data do you have to support that statement?

In the short time I've been hanging around here, I've found much of what is recommended or insisted or believed is simply personal preference. No facts involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back