OCD Or Not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every vehicle I ever had since day one when I go to turn off the engine I always make sure all the accessories are off before turning the car off. I always do that and I find I'm about the only one I know that does.

Do you?

BTW, I do it all the time too
smile.gif

AC / Heat blower always gets turned off, as do the wipers. Lights go off themselves and I never leave a running CD inside the radio. If I had a TV or camera on-board, Id make sure that's off also.

Well, I will always shut the wipers, headlights, and music off. I generally turn off the A/C but not the heat when it's cold or the fan at any time.
I am a stickler for leaving the music set at a low volume (8 for my FXT) and to make sure I am between songs if I've been listening to the iPod, I can't stand it if I turn the audio on and it comes up in the middle of a song with the volume up.
Yes, I am at least a bit OCD...

Well, I don't usually listen to the radio. Leaving your wipers on is just insanity. And I do turn the AC off, although I've heard that it's better to leave it on vent mode.

I always turn the A/C to vent about a half block from home and turn the fan down. Of course the obvious wipers, lights but one thing I hate is starting a vehicle and having the radio blaring from the last time I was rockin' out so it gets turned down.

I thought it was hard on the battery to turn over a motor that the A/C was left on.

Your procedure allows a few seconds on cool down time which is good for the parts.

Nope.

My truck has auto headlights, never touch the switch. Radio is left on, A/C is on, Acc plug is hot all the time (either phone charger is plugged in or my little volt meter). I do turn wipers off before turning it off.

Wifes car, I do turn the headlights off (I hate not having auto headlights), and the Acc is key powered, but otherwise radio is left on, A/C on, same as the truck.

Ok I thought of something. On my truck before I start I always turn the AC off. Now I never remember to do it when I turn off the car so it's always before I start. Can't with the Mazda since it's digital but it's newer do I don't worry about it. Wipers are always off and radio is either off or muted before turning the car off.

Don't turn anything off. A/C is a constant 5-6 months of the year here, no reason to turn it off. Don't turn the radio off either.

However, on my old car I would turn the AC from recirculate to fresh a few blocks before pulling up to the house, in order to air it out. Otherwise the air would get really stale smelling upon next restart. My Sonata doesn't seem to have this issue.

Most of the time I turn everything off. If I'm just running into a store for a minute, I might not bother turning the AC off, that's about it. Other than that everything always gets turned off. I hate turning a car on to have the blower on full blast right in my face, radio comes blaring on, startling the heck out of me, wipers on, etc. It's like sensory overload and too much stuff happening all at once. I like having everything off when I turn the car on, and I turn things on as I want/need them. I also always turn the volume down on the stereo before turning it off.

My wife's car has headlights that shut off when you turn the car off, so she's gotten into the habit of never turning them off. Drives me crazy. I've already had to replace six burned out light bulbs in the three years we've owned it, and it's harder on the battery when starting the engine.

I try to, but other than doors it seems everything is gated through a relay and will turn off. So I don't worry about it. AC I'll turn off, but not the fan, it's always left at 1.

Mostly I just hate getting and having the wipers go across a dry windshield.

Although it'd be nice if cruise just stayed on. Yeah it's just one more button push, but I don't get why I need an on/off switch in the first place. VW did that right, it was a slide switch, and cruise was always "on" in my car. Except for the rare time it was at the dealers for recall work--for some reason they'd turn it off.

Yeah, it's just you. I just make sure I grab everything before leaving the car, like the phone which I might have on a charger or in the center console. The rest is all automatic, wipers I leave on as it has a rain sensor so it won't be on unless it's raining. The radio shuts off automatically, headlamps are automatic. It's automatic climate control so I normally leave it at 70.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Not OCD.

Simply following proper SOP.

Where is the procedure that says to do this for modern automobiles? I have never seen it. I always read my owners manual when I get a vehicle and none say to do any of this. This is what the ignition switch is for.

As said above, many modern vehicles have relays or are computer controlled so there is no electrical load when starting.

Sadly all I drink is water.
This was taught to me as properly taking care of a car.
Somewhere along the line?????
Yes most have auto headlights etc but I turn off everything else. Why not.
It took me awhile to stop idling my cars after I had a run of TD's trucks at the house- lol

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
13.gif
way to much caffeine..............

To me its like leaving the house looking like a bum or leaving the house looking spit and polished.. lol
Nothing wrong with keeping things tidy. Also I keep my cars clean. The less dirty they get the less cleaning I have to do.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Not OCD.

Simply following proper SOP.

Where is the procedure that says to do this for modern automobiles? I have never seen it. I always read my owners manual when I get a vehicle and none say to do any of this. This is what the ignition switch is for.

As said above, many modern vehicles have relays or are computer controlled so there is no electrical load when starting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back