GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are several engines with new fuel/intake systems being designed to meet proposed upcoming emission standards in various parts of the world. Statements have been made about GDI, the expense and complication and it has been stated that one of its major contribution to the process is that it cools the combustion chamber and without that requirement in the process to reduce emissions it's better to go with port injection.

In the attached video Christian Von Koenigsegg makes this point clear as he is describing what I would call a new generation gasoline engine that not only meets these proposed upcoming requirements but produces more power as well. It's also smaller and weighs less and is mechanically less complicated because there is no camshaft or camshaft drive mechanism and no need to preheat or add a pre-catalytic converter and the associated hardware. Interesting.

And a side note here. If Christian Von Koenigsegg claims that he can do something like this, believe it. He has an amazing track record for producing new products and is very realistic in his claims and statement he makes about his work.

Good for the K that he can do this. But others have experimented with the same idea and dropped it, so I don't know how viable it is for mass production.

K has production numbers that seemingly peaked at 29! An awful small number indeed. Very specialized niche vehicles with "WOW" prices.

If his system is viable for real production cars I am certain he would be paid handsomely for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back