A 911 costs more than an Accord because...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A 911 is built by a hot blonde chick, an Accord is built on a production line.

Ever notice how when a woman wears overalls and holds a spanner she becomes 5-8x hotter? Well that blonde is off the charts!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
A Porsche with an automatic; what's the world coming to?

Well:

Sportmatic was available from 1967-1981. A weird case where a manual transmission had an automatic clutch but also a torque converter.

Tiptronic was available from 1989-2008. An advanced for it's time but now fairly conventional automatic.

Now we have PDK, which doesn't have a torque converter where the previous generations did. If anything, Porsche have moved away from uninspiring transmissions in general, seeing as how they have nearly always offered a slushbox of some sort. PDK was first developed in the 956/962 racers so...

I think PDK has it's place in a Porsche. It is definitely how I would order mine.

PDK or DSG or whichever other acronym you like to use can be good or bad:

In pursuit of a thousandth or two they are worth their weight in gold for the quicker shift
In pursuit of the tactile involvement of driving they are no better than a torque converter slush box.

I do find cars weird in that the higher performance ones cost multiples of regular cars. A 2000's V6 Accord Coupe isn't that far off an early 2000's 911 in terms of parts. If Honda stuck the fwd drivetrain in the back seat and lowered it a bit, would it cost 2-3 times as much to make?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I do find cars weird in that the higher performance ones cost multiples of regular cars. A 2000's V6 Accord Coupe isn't that far off an early 2000's 911 in terms of parts. If Honda stuck the fwd drivetrain in the back seat and lowered it a bit, would it cost 2-3 times as much to make?

Yep, example the old Acura NSX. Of course that motor has some unique properties (titanium this and that) but same principle.

Had a buddy in high school whose parents had a 944 and then a 928, both automatics.
The cars were all about status for them, they traded in the 944 on the 928 when friends of theirs picked up a 944 Turbo and they needed to one up them. My buddy said the 944 was not especially quick (makes sense, believe it was under 150HP in the US at that time), but handled like a dream. I don't think his parents cared one lick for performance and they usually kept a cheaper car around for actual commuting in the horrible traffic in Chicago, starting with GM luxury sedans and moving up to BMW and MB sedans as they got even wealthier.
Nice folks, they always kept me well fed when I hung around with their son.

Buffers, sanders, staplers, cutters, and lots of moving equipment and hardly anyone wears any safety glasses.

I gotta vent....so I'll keep it brief.

Cool video because it's always interesting to see how anything is made.
At 1:30 I thought the robotic arm was reaching to the foreground to suck paint from a can.

Cool enough but still real obnoxious because it dwelled so on rink-a-dink badges and "now, happening" carbon fiber racing stripes.
Believe me, I pick up where nasty curmudgeon leaves off.

Vent over.

Fake news...
One guy was sanding the bonnet and then blowing the dust off with compressed air without a dust mask.
I did sand while wearing a dust mask a month ago and I'm still coughing on some days.

It's the complete disregard for worker safety (part of the Porsche work culture) that's keeping me from buying their products...

Yummy thumbnail on the video link.
grin.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Fake news...
One guy was sanding the bonnet and then blowing the dust off with compressed air without a dust mask.
I did sand while wearing a dust mask a month ago and I'm still coughing on some days.

It's the complete disregard for worker safety (part of the Porsche work culture) that's keeping me from buying their products...

I seriously doubt that the German labor laws would allow Porsche to have their folks not be decked out correctly in the latest safety garb.

Remember this was a video, and most of the time what it was recording was staged. Staging and real life are two different things.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Yummy thumbnail on the video link.
grin.gif
wink.gif

The thumbnails presented, are based on your own viewing history.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Had a buddy in high school whose parents had a 944 and then a 928, both automatics.
The cars were all about status for them, they traded in the 944 on the 928 when friends of theirs picked up a 944 Turbo and they needed to one up them. My buddy said the 944 was not especially quick (makes sense, believe it was under 150HP in the US at that time), but handled like a dream. I don't think his parents cared one lick for performance and they usually kept a cheaper car around for actual commuting in the horrible traffic in Chicago, starting with GM luxury sedans and moving up to BMW and MB sedans as they got even wealthier.

I had an '89 944 Turbo. It was rated at 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. It was a fast car for the time.

Lies, it's all caught on video...
I should have added a smilie to the end of the post.
Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: zorobabel
Fake news...

I seriously doubt that the German labor laws would allow Porsche to have their folks not be decked out correctly in the latest safety garb.

Remember this was a video, and most of the time what it was recording was staged. Staging and real life are two different things.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

I had an '89 944 Turbo. It was rated at 250 hp and 258 lb-ft of torque. It was a fast car for the time.

Oh yah, the 944 Turbo was a screamer compared to the 944...maybe even faster than the 928, but the latter was more "prestigious" due to the V8 and comfort level in the cabin. We graduated in '87, so the 944 my friend's family owned was an '86 at the latest. I actually offered to buy that car when I heard they were getting rid of it, but my friend told me it had been in several accidents I didn't know about and didn't want to pass along any problems to me.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

I think PDK has it's place in a Porsche. It is definitely how I would order mine.

That makes at least two of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back