RV wash and wax

Had a chance to get the motorhome cleaned up yesterday. Got started real early to try and beat the heat. I was almost successful with that haha.

Used the foam gun filled with gold class and a telescoping handle wash brush for the majority of the fiberglass, microfiber mitt for the cab and parts I could reach.

Used a 48" handle mop with waffle weave drying towel strapped onto it to try and dry the fiberglass portions as best I could. Cab by hand of course.

I had dreamed of using Collinite 845 on the entire rig, however once I got it all washed and dried, wheels and Windows clean, it was starting to get too hot for that. Also I was surprised at how strongly the water was beading on the fiberglass. The dealer "detailed" it for us when we purchased in March, and must have put something on it at that time.

So I opted for Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax. Figured the spray wax would just give it a nice touch and I'd still feel like I actually did something haha.

UQW bottle only has spray function and not stream, so I sprayed it on to the micro fiber I had attached to the mop I was using, rather than straight onto the finish, to get to the upper half of the rig. Made two wet passes around the whole thing to make sure I didn't miss any spots. I also used the UQW on the cab.

20170709_125436_zps3etqndia.jpg

20170710_140248_zpsme79bnka.jpg

Pretty happy with it overall, considering its my first attempt at cleaning this beast.

Questions for those who may have experience with rv/fiberglass wax products: I do eventually want to get a coat of real wax on there, I do have Collinite 845, (my favorite for long lasting protection) but I noticed there is a Collinite marine wax, 925 I think it is... Also found Meguiars flagship premium marine wax.

Anybody think these are worth going out to get considering I already have 845 on hand? Not concerned about shine, just wondering if the protection could be notably better for the fiberglass? Any other amazing products I should consider for protection? This thing is going to get hammered with sunlight its whole life.

Thanks for any advice!

Constant sun will be rough. Any thoughts on a large metal carport? Thats what my travel trailer is kept under.

I use eagle one wax as you dry. My Jayco 23b still looks fairly new for an 05 model. Paste wax on an entire rv is a job! I usually use the spray wax on the front without water before a trip, keeps the bugs from sticking so bad.

Becareful with the roof. No petrolum products on the EDPM rubber roof. I am careful, not allowing spray wax to overspray near the roof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Constant sun will be rough. Any thoughts on a large metal carport? Thats what my travel trailer is kept under.

I use eagle one wax as you dry. My Jayco 23b still looks fairly new for an 05 model. Paste wax on an entire rv is a job! I usually use the spray wax on the front without water before a trip, keeps the bugs from sticking so bad.

Becareful with the roof. No petrolum products on the EDPM rubber roof. I am careful, not allowing spray wax to overspray near the roof.

Yeah I'm still trying to convince the wifey on the big car port, but we have other home projects that are much higher priority so it will likely be quite some time before that can happen, if ever at all.

Thanks for reminding me about the roof, I meant to ask if anyone had any ideas for a cleaner/conditioner. Thanks for the tip on keeping the wax off it.

A good brushing with some dish soap and water should do the trick on the roof.
I have recoated three roofs this year. Ranging in not bad but needing soon to can't wait at all. Excellent results recoating with Dehco Plas-T-cote, rubber roof coating. Excellent reviews on Amazon and about $50 gallon. Was first told about the stuff by a rv dealer.

This product is a hybrid of polymers and carnauba wax. It is sprayed on and wiped off. Longevity is up to 5 months with UV protection. Great look, easy to apply, and lasts a reasonable amount of time. I used it when I detailed for a living and it worked very well for me. I suggest the gallon size due to the size of your vehicle...lotsa real estate there!

1639754002091.png

The wax setting at the car wash does as good as any other wonder spray wax off the shelf. Yup about 6 days of beading protection. No substitute for good ol' elbow grease. Stick with the 845 or the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Grand Pa used it, dad uses it and so do I.

Back