Trnny Filter Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a filter housing off the shelf at pepboys made by trans dapt over the weekend, under $30 fits 3/4-16

OK, thanks.

I'm really wanting a spin on filter and since the parts aren't that expensive I wouldn't be worried about price as this is something that's going to help a tranny last longer.

I suppose I could just buy one of the Derale Remote Filter Mount Kits along with these two filters and return anything that doesn't fit together.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Magnefine. The bulk of what I see in a Magnefine pulled from service is metallic paste. The spin on does not have a magnet in the middle of the fluid flow.

But, one can easily place a very strong magnet on the bottom of the filter which I have been doing on my oil filters for years.

Any metal shavings will be trapped at the bottom of the filter.

Last edited:
Any filter base with a 3/4-16 threads will work.

Put it in the return line, and hang a 3614 or 3600 (or equivalent) filter on...

Bazinga!

Last edited:
I'm leaning towards going with this...

B&M 80277 filter kit
Wix 51269 Spin-On Hydraulic Filter

Originally Posted By: Rockrz

But, one can easily place a very strong magnet on the bottom of the filter which I have been doing on my oil filters for years.

Any metal shavings will be trapped at the bottom of the filter.

Any metal shavings that will go through the filter media are likely to do just that. They wont be trapped by a single magnet until they closely approach it, which will probably take quite a few passes, though the cannister body will also be somewhat magnetised.

Might a very strong magnet in that location interfere with the operation of the bypass valve?

EDIT: Just realised this is about transmission filters, not engine, so my assumptions may not apply: ENDEDIT.

Last edited:
I have a fairly large magnet on the bottom of my transmission pans and when you pull the pan you can see stuff gathering right where that magnet was so it can be cleaned out.

I learned this from guys that are in racing running high end engines and trannys

Originally Posted By: CT8
Magnefine is way over priced for the teeny weeny filter.

It offers alot of bang for that buck.

I always cut mine open at regular replacement intervals and find the magnet doing what it is designed to do--pull out ferrous metals. Mine are located in the return line from the cooler and all of this fluid must pass in close proximity to that magnet,,,much closer proximity than a magnet in a pan...IMO.

Besides, it saves me having to drop the pan as often to clean that magnet.

The Magnefine also has a traditional filter element and this captures non-ferrous contaminants. Lets face it, the typical AT filter inside the transmission is not a small micron design. The engineers do not think it is necessary so the Magnefine is already offering several times the filtration capability.

You do bring up a valid point, it is classified by the World Governing Automatic Transmission Filter Council as "teeny-weeny"
grin.gif
and therefore needs to be changed out about every 15,000 miles IIRC.

plus its small design is less likely to get smashed by a rock in off-pavement applications.

Not to mention a spin on filter is going to provide better filtration

An interesting point?

How much filtration is necessary?

The engineers who designed the factory AT filters in the pan apparently don't think much based on the element found in a factory filter...its often a porous foam and even considered "lifetime" in many Recommended Service Intervals.

Quote:

As much as one can get!

Quote:
The engineers who designed the factory AT filters in the pan apparently don't think much based on the element found in a factory filter...its often a porous foam and even considered "lifetime" in many Recommended Service Intervals.

If they build things that last too long... they are working themselves out of a job so it stands to reason why they wouldn't use high quality media and why they don't want tranny filters to be serviced

That way they get to sell parts down the line or a whole new vehicle. Manufacturers have to keep selling stuff or they go out of business like any business.

Quote:

As much as one can get!

Quote:

If they build things that last too long... they are working themselves out of a job so it stands to reason why they wouldn't use high quality media and why they don't want tranny filters to be serviced

That way they get to sell parts down the line or a whole new vehicle. Manufacturers have to keep selling stuff or they go out of business like any business.

As we all know, there is a trade-off with filtration vs flow so I would say your statement is incomplete.

I asked the question in the hopes of getting some actual statistics.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but conspiracy theories are not what I was looking for. I would like a BITOG type response.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
As we all know, there is a trade-off with filtration vs flow so I would say your statement is incomplete.

I asked the question in the hopes of getting some actual statistics.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but conspiracy theories are not what I was looking for. I would like a BITOG type response.

I have a metal screen on my old Sienna, the OEM paper in-pan filter on the BMW and I have no idea on the Accord, and all are still doing fine. I think it has a lot more to do with transmission design, cooling and preventative maintenance than filtration. I've cleaned the screen on the Sienna but there is never anything in it, and the BMW has had the filter replaced once. Nothing has been done to the Accord and I don't even know what it has for a filter.

Quote:

Thank you for your opinion...I'm not advocating being stupid... I am advocating it's better to have more filtration than what the manufacturers build into their vehicles.

Obviously it would be stupid to put so much filtration on as to impede the flow of whatever fluid is being filtered.

It's a known fact that manufacturers have the technology to build equipment to last far, far longer than what it does... but strangely they don't do that and understanding this is not a conspiracy theory but is simply understanding how business works.

Any business that cannot obtain more sales and repeat sales will go out of business due to a lack of money coming in. This is simple common sense knowledge of business practices in today's world.

If you require stats, you'll need to go find some scientists who track this stuff and they'll all have different test results based on who is paying their salaries
crazy.gif

Quote:

Thank you for your opinion...I'm not advocating being stupid... I am advocating it's better to have more filtration than what the manufacturers build into their vehicles.

Obviously it would be stupid to put so much filtration on as to impede the flow of whatever fluid is being filtered.

It's a known fact that manufacturers have the technology to build equipment to last far, far longer than what it does... but strangely they don't do that and understanding this is not a conspiracy theory but is simply understanding how business works.

Any business that cannot obtain more sales and repeat sales will go out of business due to a lack of money coming in. This is simple common sense knowledge of business practices in today's world.

If you require stats, you'll need to go find some scientists who track this stuff and they'll all have different test results based on who is paying their salaries
crazy.gif

The way business works, thanks, is that businesses that build products that fail prematurely do not see repeat customers and their reputations prevent new customers as well.

I don't know of any vehicle manufacturer that installs an ATF filter that offers anywhere near the filtration efficiency of an oil filter (or air filter or fuel filter). The reason, I suspect, is that the engineers have decided that the ATF and the transmission do not require such levels of filtration as the engine itself.

My question is not that difficult of a question for several members of the BITOG community (scientists or not). How much filtration is actually necessary and does the Magnefine meet those goals? And is it not better to change out ATF fluid on recommended intervals to remove particulates than to install an elaborate external ATF filtration system? (I understand this is not mutually exclusive but it is part of the Manufacturer Recommendation). Changing ATF fluid has the added benefit of replenishing the additive packets and conditioners. Those are the questions I am searching for and whether engineers have designed the stock ATF filter with an end goal of assuring them a full retirement package is not relevant to me.

You and I obviously disagree on what good business practices and ethics are. If yours work for you then great. My own are working quite well for me.

Cheers

Quote:
businesses that build products that fail prematurely do not see repeat customers and their reputations prevent new customers as well

I never said they build things intentionally to fail prematurely and I never mentioned ethics... I said they have the ability to build things that would last far longer than they do... and for some odd and strange reason they don't do that.

The reason why is because of money. Everyone knows this.

Quote:
How much filtration is actually necessary

Without scientific research... all you'll get is speculation as an answer and as such you'll get various answers since everyone has an opinion.

This is why I like to do things better than they have to be, and get on with my life.

All I can tell you is all my stuff lasts a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back