My 2005 Northstar died today with 115k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lost the Engine in my 05 STS V8 today with only 115k miles on it. A couple thousand miles ago it threw a bunch of camshaft position sensor codes shop said oil needed changing (only had 5k miles on it) and this miraculously seemed to cure the problem. Fast forward to today (175 miles from home and on the way back from a 1500 mile trip) car started running rough then roughly 5 seconds later I lost all power. Had it towed to a shop in Montgomery and they said oil was silver, it was I saw it, and that it had 0 compression on 3 cylinders on the right bank and 50psi on the 4th. Best guess is it skipped timing and trashed itself. Car has never missed an oil change and never used any oil.. Tough pill to swallow. Having used engine installed (2008 with 93k miles) to the tune of $3500.

Here's my post about the initial problem.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4400457/Re:_2005_sts_V8_Camshaft_Actua#Post4400457

115k - 93K = 22K

Not enough time to get you're money's worth.

I have a relative with a 2010 Caddy on it's second engine. It's trashed too, he's trying to offload it for $5K "much more than that into it." He's sure it only needs "a little work."

No takers.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I thought the northstar was supposed to be a good engine.

I thought so too, at least from a power perspective. Never owned one though. And from the negative threads I've read about them, probably won't ever own one. I've had good luck with the Ford/Lincoln 4.6L engines over the past 15 years and may stick with those a while longer.

Sorry to hear that the OP's Northstar bit the bullet.

I thought the northstar was supposed to be a good engine.

I've really never heard much bad about the RWD version of the Northstar that is in my car. One of the main reasons I got the car was the engines good reputation. My only other option was to pay the $200 diagnosis fee then call the Montgomery junk man and sell it to him for $300. Figure this way I will get a few more years out of the car, which I really liked, before today anyhow.

Did I mention I hate GM products?

GM makes some great motors-the Northstar just isn't one of them. Ford has had plenty of both gas and diesel "not so reliable" motors-especially diesels.

Last edited:
The north stars can be great motors when timing chains aren't stretched and a quality head stud kit is added.

Perhaps make sure this timing chain is in good serviceable limits.

Did I mention I hate GM products?

Ever hear of the Chrysler 2.7L sludge monster? But that's different.....

Every brand has a dud or 2, sucks when you end up with one.

I hear horror stories about the North star. Funny, the 94 DeVille we had, we drove it like a corvette, often cruising at limited speed of 114 and 0 to 60 to 0 to so on all day, always with a trunk full of tools ( compressor and such construction stuff)
We beat on it like a redheaded stepchild, then the tranny gave out North of 260k. Poor thing had a hard life, and I was a fool (then) to think that engine was the bees knees. Oh, and 24mpg avg. But of course nothing t like the 3.1 Lumina, that tranny gave out at North of 420k equally molested (if not more so) miles.

$3,500 for a used engine installed?

I'd step back for a second and think long and hard about that one. On a good day the car is worth $3,500 if it didn't have a blown engine. I'd try and sell it for $750 and then you'd have $4,250 to buy something that's known for reliability.

Just my 2 cents
49.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I'd step back for a second and think long and hard about that one. On a good day the car is worth $3,500 if it didn't have a blown engine. I'd try and sell it for $750 and then you'd have $4,250 to buy something that's known for reliability.

Just my 2 cents
49.gif

But then you dont know the service history on the new vehicle. Even if its supposedly reliable if its been abused or suffered from a lack of maintenance it could be a money pit anyways. OP knows his vehicle and presumably takes care of it. If he still likes the car, then repowering it is a viable option. Although, I would agree to check the chain on the new motor, and also, now you know if you see the same set of circumstances occur again, what is going to happen. You can then preemptively repair the engine.

Unless your advocating for putting that 4250 down on a new vehicle and taking on a car note, which there are a myriad why one might not want to do that.

Originally Posted By: CKN
GM makes some great motors-the Northstar just isn't one of them.

A GM mechanic told me the Northstar was designed by BMW.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I agree. Seems like it should be a brand new factory engine for that amount of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back