FL400S - My First C&P

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran this filter for about 9300 miles with Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 in the Focus in my sig:

After a few seconds of cutting with a HF version of a Dremel, the cutting wheel looked like this:

I switched to a 4.5" angle grinder with a cut-off wheel (rookie move, I know) As a result, any metal shavings in the following pictures (probably) came from the cutter:

Replaced with a Bosch Distance Plus D3422, Walmart Clearance. I have 4 (3 now) so I'm not sure if I will run it to 5k or 10k.

Last edited:
I stopped buying them because I had FOUR and couldn't find more than one each for my wife's Jeep and my Mountaineer. Also, my WM won't drop them below $3 each. Still cheaper than MC but I want my $1 filters!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Man I tried to find those clearance D3422's at Walmart and can't.

I still see them on the clearance shelf for $1.50 at the Walmarts in my area.

Not a rookie move as far as I'm concerned. Angle grinder is what I always use to cut open filters. Works great. I cut way down right along the crimp, and just barely cut through the can. Sometimes have to use a screwdriver to pop the end off after I cut all the way around. This will avoid getting metal shavings inside and also avoid cutting into any of the internals.

That MC looks good.
I picked up several Bosch DP 3422's, some at $1.50 but most at $3.00.
I plan on running them 2 OCIs in my Focus....they should be good for 15K?

WOW .25!!! Nice!

The best filter deal I've ever come across were six Mobil M1-209's for $1 each at WalMart a few years ago...

Thanks for the c&p.

In the future, if you need to cut open a purolator or MC filter, take a good pair of tin snips and cut the crimp at the bottom of the can off. Works like a charm and makes a nice clean cut. Just takes a little but of muscle.

This won't work with [censored] tin snips, but a nice set of wiss aviation tin snips work great.

For some reason the MC's and purolator cans are just a tad bit thinner that snips go right through them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Thanks for the c&p.

In the future, if you need to cut open a purolator or MC filter, take a good pair of tin snips and cut the crimp at the bottom of the can off. Works like a charm and makes a nice clean cut. Just takes a little but of muscle.

This won't work with [censored] tin snips, but a nice set of wiss aviation tin snips work great.

For some reason the MC's and purolator cans are just a tad bit thinner that snips go right through them.

I will do this the next time I have a Motorcraft to remove. Both cars currently have D+

It might be a while, I bought another D+ from WM. Found one that still had stock near where I work, sadly it was still $3 but I think that's decent for a 10k filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back