Pentosin MTF2 Discontinued - What else to use?

I'm hoping to get some advice on transmission fluid for my 2002 BMW M3 6MT.

I was going to purchase some Pentosin MTF2 from ECS Tuning, because it's available in a 1 l container, rather than BMW MTF-LT-2, which is only available in a 5 l container. However, Pentosin MTF2 has been discontinued. ECS Tuning is now recommending Pentosin FFL-4. This seems wrong, because according to Pentosin, FFL-4 "features a special clutch friction performance which makes it mandatory to be applied solely to the double clutch gear box." I'm not clear why ECS Tuning would be recommending it for my car.

ECS Tuning also carries FEBI products, and they have a 75w-80 that is supposedly interchangeable with MTF-LT-2. However, the FEBI product is GL-5, whereas MTF-LT-2 is GL-4. Is GL-5 a suitable replacement for GL-4?

ECS Tuning also carries Motul products and they say that either MotylGear 75w90 or Gear 300 75w90 are options. Both are GL-4 and GL-5. Both of these are thicker than MTF-LT-2. Gear 300 is "100% Synthetic" and MotylGear is "Technosynthese".

According to Motul, the recommended products are MotylGear 75w80 or Multi DCTF 75w90. The former makes sense, but not the latter. I didn't find MotylGear 75w80 on their website, only 75w90. Anyone know what the difference is between 100% Synthetic and Technosynthese? I wonder why the former is twice the price of the latter.

Technosynthese is "Synthetic Technology" meaning it is a synthetic blend.

Thus the price difference you found.

OP, Redline MTL, MT-85, or MT-90 will all work in your 2002 M3 manual gearbox. You can use these Redline products without any concerns whatsoever. Given your Canadian signature, I suggest MTL. MTL is the thinnest of the three. I use MT-85 in my California climate BMW.

I've used Pentosin MTF2 at times over the years in my BMW and the Redline "MT" lubricants work just as well, if not better. Guaranteed. PM me if you have questions.

Scott

Agreed. Why not just switch to Redline. I use MTL in both my cars.

The MTL does feel a little thick in the 1er, you can also use D4 or D6 which are a little thinner if winter driven. Check which one Redline recommends.

Redline actually recommends the D4 fluid for my manual trans car. I went with the thicker MTL because the car does see some track use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver

I believe technosynthese is referring to group III (hydrocracked) due to labeling/advertising laws outside the US. They can't call it "full synthetic" like we can in the US.

Have you looked into Fuchs gear oil? I'm sure they have a fluid for your BMW, I run the Titan sintofluid 75w80 in my Audis with a manual trans and it is much better in the winter than when I was using Redline.

Good idea, seanf.

Fuchs acquired Pentosin recently. I'm sure there are some Fuchs oils that are suitable for your application if you don't want to use Red Line MTL.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I believe technosynthese is referring to group III (hydrocracked) due to labeling/advertising laws outside the US. They can't call it "full synthetic" like we can in the US.

If you can find any literature to support that I would be interested.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: seanf
Have you looked into Fuchs gear oil? I'm sure they have a fluid for your BMW, I run the Titan sintofluid 75w80 in my Audis with a manual trans and it is much better in the winter than when I was using Redline.

Fully agree.

I have not had positive experience with Redline MTL or MT-90 in VAG gearboxes.

The Pentosin is still available on the line.
grin.gif

Why not stick with what the OP has tried and knows works well?

Thanks for this info. I figured it must be something like that, but I didn't see it on the Motul website.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I posted about this on M3 Forum. There are quite a few threads about transmission fluid. The comments are all over the place.

Someone posted this video from Pentosin: ITB Episode 32: GL-5 vs. GL-4 Fluids. It claims their GL-5 is okay for GL-4 applications. Other manufacturers such as Redline don't make such claims. I can imagine the meeting in Pentosin. "A: We aren't selling much MTF2 these days. I think we should cancel it. B: If we cancel it, how will we explain why it's okay when we used to have separate products for GL-4 and GL-5? A: Let's make a youtube video..."

Apparently the Motul fluid is okay when the transmission is warmed up, but it's terrible when the transmission is cold. It doesn't even get very cold here (Vancouver area), but the transmission is already cantankerous when it's cold so I think I'll pass on the Motul. Not to mention their fluids are GL-5...

I think I will stick with a GL-4 fluid, either some old stock MTF2 or OE MTF-LT-2.

Back