2016 Subaru Crosstrek Factory Fill 6265 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its the factory fill from a 2016 Subaru Crosstrek with the 2.0L 4 cylinder naturally aspirated. Right around the 4k mile mark it was a quart low and added a quart of Schaeffer 9000 0W-20, so there will be some differences from a true factory fill. It takes slightly more than 5 quarts to do an oil change with filter change.

Code:

OIL Subaru FF with 1 quart of Schaeffer 9000 OW-20

MAKE UP OIL 1 qt

MILES IN USE 6265

MILES TOTAL 6265

SAMPLE TAKEN 6/30/16

IRON 27

CHROMIUM 0

LEAD 3

COPPER 90

TIN 1

ALUMINUM 4

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

VANADIUM 0

SILICON 241

BORON 132

SODIUM 9

POTASSIUM 2

MAGNESIUM 14

CALCIUM 1946

PHOSPHORUS 980

ZINC 970

MOLYBDENUM 951

BARIUM 8

WATER
OXIDATION 19.35

NITRATION 9.23

cSt @ 212ºF 7.24

It looks great, but no TBN to tell how much it was "used up"... but I doubt it needed to be drained, anyway.

With a DI engine, flash, fuel and TBN would be nice to get a better state of the oil. Otherwise, looks like a FF UOA wear metal wise.

Awwww man! You messed it all up mixing it with another oil. You should have took the sample first.
09.gif

Used a quart of oil in first 4k miles? I think I would trade it in. I changed the break in oil at 1k miles on my wife's Elantra then every 5K after that. Doesn't use a drop of oil after 30K miles. My Turbocharged Mercedes SLK doesn't use a drop of oil either.
I fear there is something very wrong with your new Subaru. I wouldn't stand for it on a new car.

Looks fine for a FF, even with the added quart. Hopefully the usage will die down, but 1 qt every 4k isn't terrible.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
Used a quart of oil in first 4k miles? I think I would trade it in. I changed the break in oil at 1k miles on my wife's Elantra then every 5K after that. Doesn't use a drop of oil after 30K miles. My Turbocharged Mercedes SLK doesn't use a drop of oil either.
I fear there is something very wrong with your new Subaru. I wouldn't stand for it on a new car.
A new engines destroys the oil.

Look at the Moly (951 ppm), Zinc (970 ppm) and Boron (132 ppm), that looks like special sauce to me.

Last edited:
I am gonna get a UOA on another new, undiluted 2018 Forester 2.5 pulled this weekend with about 3k on FF. Might be dropping too soon, but since it's my mom's and she's not exactly maintenance minded, better a wallet $35 light than an engine rebuild not covered under warranty!

Originally Posted By: webfors
With a DI engine, flash, fuel and TBN would be nice to get a better state of the oil. Otherwise, looks like a FF UOA wear metal wise.

This has the same engine as my daughter's Impreza and I was surprised to learn today that it has PFI, not DI like my 2.0l turbo version (FB20B vs. FA20DIT).
I know I'm replying to an old post here, but I thought this info might be useful to others.

The Subarus I've dealt with use this much oil. 2006 Forester uses about 1qt/2k. Crosstrek I used to deal with would need a quart in 4-6k interval.

Neither of those are out of line with "normal" consumption, and even your "bad" Forester is only 1/2 qt per 1k? What oil do you use? Have you tried another oil? Most of the time, trying different oils you can greatly reduce oil consumption... my 01 Forester used 1qt/3k on Mobil 1 0W40, and didn't use any measureable (top of full hole to bottom of full hole) over 7500 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back