2014 Jetta 1.8 TSI oil filter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be changing the oil in the Jetta soon, we were going to take it to the dealer since it had a maintenance plan but apparently that ran out. I have changed the oil once (in between dealer 10K mile interval) but have never changed the filter. My question is, what are the best brands available at Walmart / Amazon. I don't want to pay more than I have too but I do want the best quality filter. If I should just get the VW OEM part from the dealer I will, thats not a problem. But if there is a good quality OTC option I am ok with that also. Many people mention Mahle or Mann for VW, is this the best option? I am not a fan of the Fram Ultra cartridge type, I have seen too many with separated end caps so that is out of the question. Thanks in advance.

Mann or Mahle from Amazon would be my choice. Mann is the OE for this car. I wouldn't install the Fram cartridge type either.

Dealer price for the filter might not be too bad though. It's worth asking.

Rockauto and FCPEuro.com also have a good selection.

Last edited:
Is this a cartridge filter?

When I had my VW I always bought filters at the dealer, they were cheap, only $7 or so.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Is this a cartridge filter?

When I had my VW I always bought filters at the dealer, they were cheap, only $7 or so.

Yes, it is a cartridge.

The OEM filters are only about 12$ max, worth the few extra dollars IMO. You should get a drain plug also if the car has a plastic pan, they break easily.

OEM Mann/Mahle. Usually get a filter and drain plug for $12-$15 for the set at the dealer. Course my pan is platic so I like to replace the plug every time.

German made Mann for the win. Napa has them and they have a AAA discount if you have it. Amazon also carries most Mann products.

You can go to the dealer and pay $12 for an OEM filter, or you can order several rebranded OEM filters from Rockauto for much less even with shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back