10 ply tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should i put 10 ply tires on my dodge halfton or stick with p rated ? Is a 10ply going to screw up front end parts faster?
Any advice is much appreciated gents

It doesn't raise the capacity of what the truck can handle, I'd just use what it came with.

10 ply ratings are not used much anymore. 10 ply = an E rated tire. If you are not going to use the truck for heavy loads, a P rated tire would be fine.

I have e load tires on my 96 1500, a friend of mine warned me ahead of time,however I am the king of over kill my truck rides like [censored] and beats my brains out. I can come up with several reasons why I put them on but I wouldn't do it again

Originally Posted By: NStuart
I have e load tires on my 96 1500, a friend of mine warned me ahead of time,however I am the king of over kill my truck rides like [censored] and beats my brains out. I can come up with several reasons why I put them on but I wouldn't do it again

I bet they lasted longer though.

All I buy are E-rated tires, preferably with 3-ply sidewalls. And don't give me the rough ride song 'n dance.
People sleep on passenger trains, that on welded rail, are as smooth as glass.

Red sky with the BC fires Aspen?

Last edited:
A real truck may need LT tires, but even with them, in the sizes they call for P tires are often sufficient to carry the rated load capacity and since these P tires achieve their rated load capacity at much lower inflation pressures, they ride better.
No reason to put LT tires on a half ton truck, unless you want a hard ride to go along with them.
I have a ton van. It's on P tires rather than the original LTs. They have sufficient load capacity at 40 psi to carry what LT tires would at 80 psi.
Guess which tire would ride better, especially without a load in the back?

What the truck came with from the factory meets all requirements of the truck. This includes payload and towing. If/when you tow I find filling the OEM tires near maximum inflation prevents sidewall squirm.

If you absolutely want to ruin your ride quality put 8 or 10 ply tires on.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
You should have LT for "light truck" P rated tires are for passenger cars.

Not for a half-ton.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
All I buy are E-rated tires, preferably with 3-ply sidewalls. And don't give me the rough ride song 'n dance.

But they do ride rougher-even if you don't want to hear it.....

Originally Posted By: CKN
What the truck came with from the factory meets all requirements of the truck. This includes payload and towing. If/when you tow I find filling the OEM tires near maximum inflation prevents sidewall squirm.

If you absolutely want to ruin your ride quality put 8 or 10 ply tires on.

Now there is a song I can dance to.

Not only what he said above but your Load Range "E" tires are going to have a shorter mileage warranty from the manufacturer.

And the "E" should cost you about 25% more.

The only advantage that I can see to a "E" rated tire on a 1/2 ton is if you are driving alot of mountain trails strewn with sharp jagged rocks.

"Sidewall Squirm" ???

Sounds pretty gross.

How about 285/45/22s with an inch of sidewall that come stock on 1500s (goes with the 0W20)? Would they be smoother than say..35/12.50/16s on a gravel road and 20W50?

I have E rated tires on my F250 which carries heavy loads on bad roads. The downside is that they seem to have higher rolling resistance and hurt fuel mileage a little bit. Can't quantify it though. Don't see any good reason to run them on a half ton. As I recall I had P rated tires on my Toyota pickup and the load rating was higher than the equivalent LT tires.

You can have LT Load Range C tires on a half ton to go one step higher, that's what I did with my 96' 1/2 ton Chevy pickup.

How about 285/45/22s with an inch of sidewall that come stock on 1500s (goes with the 0W20)? Would they be smoother than say..35/12.50/16s on a gravel road and 20W50?

I would say NO they will not be smoother on a gravel road even if you were running a synthetic 10w40.

I don't like those narrow sidewall tires for gravel roads.

But they are good for eliminating the sidewall squirm.
grin.gif

BTW, John Williamson is one of the greatest songwriters on the Planet.

Not to bad here yet.. hardly even any smoke but we havent had much for west winds but id bet its coming ..thanks

I'm a Local truck driver in and out of a paper mill all day,I understand rough.
But these Goodyear with 2 layers of Kevlar ride good on the highway, but slow to medium speed bumps they reallllly bring the pain ,I only have 20k on them so not sure on longevity yet but traction is fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back