2014 F-150 5.0 Spark Plug Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally found out why I have had a vibration and shutter in my truck, took it to a different Ford dealer and they said it had a random misfire and they said to change the plugs out. They wanted $244 to do the change, I said no and that I would do it myself. Looks like there is plenty of room and should be simple.

I tried to find the SP-519 plugs that my manual says to use, but they are out of stock just about everywhere. After some research I see that they were replaced by SP-584. I picked up 8 at Autozone and I'm going to do the change tomorrow afternoon.

What I need to know is what is the torque spec for the plugs? I can't find that anywhere.

I have anti-seize but I'm probably going to pass on that.

Also, does anyone have any tips or suggestions that would speed up the change?

Thanks

I would like to know how it goes. I think that's the same engine they put in the Mustang. Surprised the engine monitor light didn't come on.

I would just call your dealer and ask for the shop manager. I have found that if they have sold or serviced your vehicle they are not to put out by you asking for some info. Mine even lent me the tool to remove the rear wheel axle lock nut assembly.

Sad to have seen them move due to high taxes. Oh well, one of their mechanics put up his own shingle and is cheaper, close and willing to help without always wanting your contents of your bank account.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
14 newton meters or 124 inch pounds.

Wow, only like 10 foot pounds?

The correct replacement is SP-548, not SP-584. The spark plugs on a 5.0L Coyote are super easy to change. I probably spent longer trying to undo the electrical connectors on the coils than I did the whole rest of the job. I did the plugs on my Mustang at 15K just because I was curious. They were pretty thrashed. Mileage didn't really improve, nor did the random miss at idle. It takes a lot to set a MIL for a misfire on a Ford, it will show in Mode 6 though.

I know it is a different application, but the Mustang gets 14.8 mpg average lifetime. Mine is a Track Pack with 3.73 gears.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The correct replacement is SP-548, not SP-584. The spark plugs on a 5.0L Coyote are super easy to change. I probably spent longer trying to undo the electrical connectors on the coils than I did the whole rest of the job. I did the plugs on my Mustang at 15K just because I was curious. They were pretty thrashed. Mileage didn't really improve, nor did the random miss at idle. It takes a lot to set a MIL for a misfire on a Ford, it will show in Mode 6 though.

I know it is a different application, but the Mustang gets 14.8 mpg average lifetime. Mine is a Track Pack with 3.73 gears.

Thanks I typed that part number wrong. I read about those red connectors being a pain. Did you use anti-seize on yours? I'm thinking I'm probably not going to.
I was surprised that I didn't get a code for the misfire.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
Glad to see you're torquing them. Do it the right way or no way I say. How is the power and fuel economy with the 5.0?

I really like it. It has been a great truck so far. Using fuelly for 19031 miles my average has been 17 mpg with a best of 19.3. The 5.0 sound so good, really like it.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
Originally Posted By: clinebarger
14 newton meters or 124 inch pounds.

Wow, only like 10 foot pounds?

8 foot pounds on my Duratec Ford I4.

If those are gasketed plug, you do NOT want to torque them - just tighten until the gasket is crushed. If chamfered seat with no gasket, torque them. Don't over apply Si to the ig coil boots. That will cause a misfire. Just a little wipe with a q-tip or similar. Keep all high tension component dirt and grime free. It's a white glove job to keep misfire counts low. No, Really.

Always had all kinds of iggy problem in fords since the late 60's. You should see the Christmas tree show my 428 CJ motor made in humid weather. My 2001 Stang Bullit had iggy problems.

Me and Fords = forget it.

That grip out of the way, its likely the problem has been caused by poor fuel causing bad injector spray pattern.

Last edited:
I don't think you are supposed to use anti-seize. When I did my Focus they said that the Motorcraft plugs have a coating on the threads already and the anti-seize will mess up the torque settings. Torque settings were very low and similar for the Focus. Tapered plug going into aluminum head. I have the same engine and need to do mine before winter. I am at 87k on my 2012 5.0 F-150. It looks easy and want to get it done before it is below zero.

All done, Truck runs amazing now. Only did a short trip but the power is back and the shudder is gone. I'll see how it goes on my way to work tonight.

Very easy job. Took me 1.5 hours from start to clean up. I did end up breaking 2 of those red clips. The rest moved easily. I used a tiny bit of the dielectric grease in the boots with a q-tip. I torqued the new plugs at 12 foot pounds. And I also made sure they were gapped at .049 to .05. I did NOT use any anti-seize. From everything I read you don't need it on the Motorcraft ones.

The old plugs were pretty bad. The drivers side were all gapped bigger than .06 and the passenger side were all between 0.55 and 0.6.

Originally Posted By: radtech91
....And I also made sure they were gapped at .049 to .05. I did NOT use any anti-seize. From everything I read you don't need it on the Motorcraft ones.

The old plugs were pretty bad. The drivers side were all gapped bigger than .06 and the passenger side were all between 0.55 and 0.6.

Sorry those last two were supposed to be .055 and .06. Was typing too quick.

Here's a picture of them. I didnt know we could load pictures straight from our phones now. That's really nice.

My 14 GT gets an average of 22mpg but mine is an automatic with a more friendly rear end gear ratio. I think it's a 3.15 if I remember correctly. Mine has almost 26,000 miles on it and has no misfire feel. Engine idles smoothly.

That is unnacceptable mileage from a set of plugs on a rather new vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
That is unnacceptable mileage from a set of plugs on a rather new vehicle.

IMO the excessive gap contributed....OP, I also have the shudder and look forward to correcting that-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back