Full Synthetic Recommendation 5.7l Hemi 100k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys recommend me a full synthetic oil for a 2009 Jeep 5.7 Hemi engine? It consumes about a quart every 5k miles. Live in the mid-Atlantic region and mostly mixed driving city/highway.

I've always used Royal Purple 5w20, but now my local Walmart does not carry it any longer.

Was thinking of one of these two:
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology
or
VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC WITH MAXLIFE

Originally Posted By: gambit023
Can you guys recommend me a full synthetic oil for a 2009 Jeep 5.7 Hemi engine? It consumes about a quart every 5k miles. Live in the mid-Atlantic region and mostly mixed driving city/highway.

I've always used Royal Purple 5w20, but now my local Walmart does not carry it any longer.

Was thinking of one of these two:
Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil with PurePlus Technology
or
VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC WITH MAXLIFE

Either of your choices should serve well; I agree that a 30 grade oil should help with the consumption.

The manufacture calls for 5w20 weight to support their Multi-Displacement System so wanted to stick with that viscosity.

Originally Posted By: gambit023
The manufacture calls for 5w20 weight to support their Multi-Displacement System so wanted to stick with that viscosity.

M1 or Pennzoil, high mileage wouldn't be a bad idea. Its remotely possible that 5w30 would throw a code for cam phasing, but not a high percentage of engines seem to do that. Its also a gamble as to whether or not 5w30 would reduce consumption. EVERYBODY ASSumes that thicker oil is harder to get past the rings, but that's not necessarily true. Thicker oil may, to an extent, just cause worn oil control rings to "ride over" a thicker layer of oil on the cylinder wall, whereas a worn oil control ring can scrape more of the thin oil away. Which one burns less oil is very engine dependent. I used to have an engine that, a 250,000 miles, burned a somewhat annoying amount of 10w30- more than 1 quart per 1000 miles. I tried 20w50, and oil consumption nearly doubled and the plugs started fouling. I quickly went back to 10w30...

I've never understood (or checked into) why some of the modern 5.7L Hemi's use 5w-20, and others (like the 475+ hp or 6.1L versions) use 0w-40. Is it all about the MDS or are there other factors? And is this also an issue where in Europe or elsewhere the car is delivered to you with 5w-30 or higher with or without MDS?

Up the HP and up the bearing loads ... More film strength to compensate
smile.gif

I'd prolly go Pennz Platinum in 0W-20 for the Jeep. Better base stocks to start with and good add pak
smile.gif

I have used M1 0-20AFE for years with outstanding results. No oil consumption at all in my Fords at 10K OCI.

VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC WITH MAXLIFE and Castrol Magnetech holds up better than any other oils used in the Ford EcoBoost engines.

Originally Posted By: CT8
VALVOLINE FULL SYNTHETIC WITH MAXLIFE and Castrol Magnetech holds up better than any other oils used in the Ford EcoBoost engines.

I know folks using M1 oils with great success in EB Fords.

Last edited:
I would quit using the 5w20 if it was using oil. I don't believe the MDS mumbo jumbo.
My Challenger has MDS and uses 0w40. Buddy up in Pennsylvania has a Charger with a 5.7 and uses 5w30 without issues.
Just manual followers trying to put scare tactics in you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: CT8

I know folks using M1 oils with great success in EB Fords.
With twice the iron.

10w30 pp just to see if consumption is reduced by means of lower noack, if not viscosity. If you must stay with a 20, then m1 AFE I believe has the lowest Zn/P level I have seen to help with cat poisoning.

Depending on how far you want to deviate

1) pp 5w20
2) 50/50 blend of pp 5w20 and pp10w30
3) 100 percent pp 10w30.

I might try the blend myself in the winter.

Been running 0w30 or 5w30 in mine since the first oil change. Just hit 120k no issues with MDS, even in low temps. I wouldn't go 10w30 though, 5w30 instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back