Fram Core filters any good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at a Walmart which doesn't have a TLE, & saw these filters on the mark down rack for $1.00. Walmart employee said the store was accidentally shipped a bunch of these filters, & they're selling them cheap to get rid of them. These filters any good? I figure for $1.00 I'll use one.

They said they were originally marked for $2.10 but weren't selling. For $1.00 I bought 3 of them.

Your pics are of a standard Ecore construction from the Frampion days. Somewhere in the 92% to 94% efficiency range at 20 microns depending on date of manufacture. If these are the second generation Ecore with 8 longitudinal ribs on the center cage you did fine for $1. Main thing I don't like on the second gen Ecore us they still use a combo valve instead of seperate ADBV & BPV construction.

Can't go wrong for a dollar. There were a few of these cut open and posted on here. Some went way too long and still held up.

For a buck and a 3-5k conventional oil oci, ok. Basic jobber filter, and the one you have is an ecore. Even though they are currently selling on ebay and some WMs in the past, technically they are intended for, ie., supposed to be sold at retail.

As an aside, I was walking by a local WM TLE and asked if I could see a Fram Core 3614. In the "Core" line it's always been an ecore. The one he showed me was Fram fiber endcap filter. So it would seem the WM TLE Core filters are converted back to all Fram filters, from fram filter filtration filters which were a combination of Fram and Champ made filters. Since no more ecores I wonder if they will change the name.

Otoh, locally AZ STP blue filters are still the combination Fram and Champ made filters with some ecores including the 3614. Like the previous Fram Core line.

It seems the core gets the job done. On the 3387a for GM cars they have gone rid of the ecore for a metal tube.

Only would recommend a 3K mile oil change as that was what they are intended for from Walmart TLE.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
It seems the core gets the job done. On the 3387a for GM cars they have gone rid of the ecore for a metal tube.

Only would recommend a 3K mile oil change as that was what they are intended for from Walmart TLE.

I'll have to check the newer 3506 & 3675(taller version of the 3506) & see if they got rid of the e-core also. These filters are for the 99-06 full size GM trucks with the 4.8 & 5.3 engines.

Originally Posted By: tech230

I'll have to check the newer 3506 & 3675(taller version of the 3506) & see if they got rid of the e-core also. These filters are for the 99-06 full size GM trucks with the 4.8 & 5.3 engines.

We have a paper at TLE that shows what the filter will switch over to. We only carry about 8 filters, But they cover 95% of the cars we do.

We have a paper at TLE that shows what the filter will switch over to. We only carry about 8 filters, But they cover 95% of the cars we do.

What do you do for the other 5%? Just go grab a regular Fram off the shelf?

Would be interesting to see that sheet (if not proprietary).

Here is what you can expect from an eCore with the combo valve.

AC Delco PF1250 cut & post

Note, I have run several Champ PH820 filters and the filter elements are looking very good. The combo valve does lose the ADBV function before 3000 miles. This is using Motorcraft 5W30 synthetic blend.

Since the Ranger does not seem to care about drain back function, I prefer to run these over a Purolator that tears.

My 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: blupupher

I was able to see the sheet from when WM TLE switched over from the Fram Pro filters to the Fram Core filters a few years back. It said the e-core was rated at 94% efficiency and was good for 7000 miles. Interestingly, the stickers they use still have a 3000 mile return. I recently talked to a TLE tech and he said most customers ignore the 3000 mile and come back usually between 4000 to 5000 miles. Some go well beyond that.

What do you do for the other 5%? Just go grab a regular Fram off the shelf?

We almost always have the TLE filter. If not because its a European, we are out of filters, or its a very new/old car.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

I was able to see the sheet from when WM TLE switched over from the Fram Pro filters to the Fram Core filters a few years back. It said the e-core was rated at 94% efficiency and was good for 7000 miles. Interestingly, the stickers they use still have a 3000 mile return. I recently talked to a TLE tech and he said most customers ignore the 3000 mile and come back usually between 4000 to 5000 miles. Some go well beyond that.
This is not the sheet im talking about. This sheet will tell you the cross reference for the filter.

... This is not the sheet im talking about. This sheet will tell you the cross reference for the filter.

Yeah, one that shows that a vehicle calling for a PH3600 filter can use the shorter PH3614 and such.

Much easier than having to search through the Fram or Wix site comparing thread size, gasket diameter, bypass etc to see the interchange.
Although I would like to see what larger filters fit smaller filter applications, not universal.

Quote:
.... On the 3387a for GM cars they have gone rid of the ecore for a metal tube...

As with the previously noted core 3614 now being a Fram fiber endcap filter (with metal centertube), the 3387a being similar would be another indication all of the older fram filtration core (fram/champ) are gone from TLE. In the 3387a though there is no combo valve, only an adbv because they are for older GM with block bypass. I'd have less issue with using the ecore in that case as opposed to ecore 3614.

As for consolidation with downsizing, it's SOP in the quick lube biz. One of them shown here in anecdotes is the 9688/3593a down to the shorty thimble size 6607/14612. That's two application sizes smaller, skipping the 7317 size completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back