Filter and hard use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would towing have any effect on your oil filter? High RPM going up hills effecting the pressure on the filter itself?

I would think with a properly working bypass setup, there wouldn't be any issues or extra wear and tear. I remember cutting open an oil filter that was in use in my old Firebird that was driven HARD in many hours of stop and go traffic during car cruises and the oil filter looked like new when I cut it open.

Bingo - that's the answer. The oil cool or cold is many, many of times thicker than the oil hot at RPM. Still has to try to go through the media ... Any well made filter can easily handle hot oil at RPM
smile.gif

I've seen some more "performance oriented" filters quote higher burst strengths with thicker casings. No idea if that's needed, but it seems what would be good in a performance application would also apply to towing. On my mustang the ford racing oil filter is substantially heavier/thicker than the standard motorcraft can. Thats on top of them quoting higher efficiency and flow.

Oil filters have a typical burst strength of 300PSI, way higher then a geared oil pump in an engine can provide.
Many engines have a pressure regulator. Working pressure for many engines is 40PSI to 75 PSI

So you're safe

The oil pump has a pressure relief valve to keep the oil pressure to a certain setting. The oil is hot and thin. the concern would be the oils life.

You want to change filters often so there isn't a dirty filter in there to restrict more. You can buy a number of higher spec stock filters that have heavier casings like Purolator Boss, Royal Purple, Mobil M1 and others, without going to a racing filter. You want a filter with a good flowing bypass valve also, just in case, not a tiny little hole like some have. My pick would be a RP probably. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back