Amelia Earhart -- Good Evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the picture (Office of Naval Intelligence ONI Jaliut Atoll, 1937):
170705-amelia-earhart-marshall-islands-1937-njs-921a_dc54c36fc9e07144008eb24d4b245ccf.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2...fp-1200-800.jpg

The History Channel's "Amelia Earhart: The Lost Evidence" http://www.history.com/specials/amelia-earhart-the-lost-evidence
http://www.history.com/specials/amelia-earhart-the-lost-evidence/tracking-amelias-flight-path

Last edited:
Some Military expert said today that picture looks to be from the early 20's, not 1937. Who knows. Makes for some good TV I guess.

That photo looks exactly like Noonan, Earhart, and the Electra. Noonan's hairline (widow's peak).
Earhart's hairstyle. The fact they're both light-skinned in Japanese held territory where white people were forbidden.

The fact that its the Koshu (Japanese ship), towing a Lockheed Electra (37') on the barge. Yep.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Some Military expert said today that picture looks to be from the early 20's, not 1937. Who knows. Makes for some good TV I guess.

Koshu Maru wasn't there in the Marshalls in the 1920's.
Koshu Maru was built in 1937.
The ship in the picture was positively identified as the Koshu Maru.
Its clearly in this picture as part of the Japanese invasion.

If the 150 + bones unearthed in 1968 hadn't 'disappeared', we might have gotten an answer. The ninety year old woman, and several other locals in the film were believable, but it still seemed too 'Geraldo'ish overall.

The Japanese were ceded several of the German Empire's colonies in the Pacific after WWI. They had several naval bases. Truk was one.

It's nonsense; made for TV to try to cash in on the more legit interest generated by the more serious and reputable TIGHAR work now in the news. Really cheap and dishonest in my opinion.

The photo is vague enough to read anything in to it. Japanese researchers who've looked into the actual records and movements of the ship debunked this years ago. Of course, that was in Japanese so these researchers didn't bother to read it or check beyond their narrow goal of proving what they wanted. In fact, the IJN had put out an all stations alert to RESCUE and return Earhart and Noonan to the USN. The picture's attention now is anti-historical cashing in at the worst.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
It's nonsense; made for TV to try to cash in ....

Wow, you just called a lot of Marshall Islanders and Saipan citizens liars.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
It's nonsense; made for TV to try to cash in ....

Wow, you just called a lot of Marshall Islanders and Saipan citizens liars.

"A lot..". Define that. Then put it in the context of the known fallibility of eyewitness testimony. Especially when paid, or to a superior authority, and when decades later.

I did not use the word "liar." I'm aware of the limits of history (got a degree in it). Don't toss that word around like that unless you know what it means.

And to question your prior post, what Japanese invasion of the Marshall Islands in 1937? There wasn't one. The Japanese had occupied them since 1914 or 1915-ish, I forget which. They were starting there Manchurian War then, and DESPERATE to keep the US happy. They did not stage the Manchurian campaign from the Marshall Islands. That's like lauching strikes on Berlin in 1944 from Long Island. Nonsense.

Don't swallow the junk; think about it. Test it, check sources, and verify. You gotta work harder than CNN these days...

Last edited:
USCGC Itasca at Howland Island reported strongest radio transmission at 0758 on July 2. "Her 7:58 am transmission said she couldn't hear the Itasca and asked them to send voice signals so she could try to take a radio bearing. This transmission was reported by the Itasca as the loudest possible signal, indicating Earhart and Noonan were in the immediate area. They couldn't send voice at the frequency she asked for, so Morse code signals were sent instead. Earhart acknowledged receiving these but said she was unable to determine their direction." - THE FINAL FLIGHT: PART 3

Would you believe USCG and USN records from the time, or those who stand to profit from a fanciful story for a TV program?

Pretty much every TV special is selective history ... no evidence that does not fit the story they're selling is considered. TV does not do historical research, historians do.

In that photo, I don't see an airplane being towed on a barge by that ship. Some forensic photo examiner I am, huh? LoL.

I heard this on the radio this morning - I just assumed it was the older DJ who had clicked on a clickbait article and thought it was real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back