Dented oil filter -- quick answers PLEASE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put a Napa Platinum on daughters 2006 Mercury Grand Marquis. Due to my large hands and TIGHT area filter goes in, I had to snug it up with a filter wrench. The foot of the metal strap indented the filter about a 1/4 inch, near the top (away from the base). This was done late Sunday in my rural area, and I could not buy another one. She must leave early Monday morning...

I did through check for leaks, NONE observed. Do you think she can drive away with this dented filter and be OK?

Thanks for your quick responses.

I would say you're okay as long as it doesn't leak. I don't think that is far enough to contact the internals, at least not from the ones I've seen cut open. I'd run it.

No. Change it asap. Get a filter from 24/7 WalMart. It does not seem like much, but after a few oil pressure spikes the housing will burst, putting engine at risk of loosing all oil and getting irreversible internal damage. Don't learn it the hard way. Change the filter now and save a bunch of $$$ on an engine.

If it is not leaking, she can most likely drive it, but there is always the possibility of the media being damaged (not likely with the Platinum since it has wire backing).
You also have the issue of canister burst strength possibly being weakened due to the dent.
How long is the drive and when can you get to it again?

Me personally, I would get it changed ASAP, but in all truthfulness probably not a issue.
Is there not a 24 hr Walmart around?

I'll back up and say if it is a smooth dent, you're ok. Now if it is a sharp indentation, say a crease, that might be worth changing. The cans are petty thick, so either way, you'd be ok at least in the short term.

Long way from a WM, but we test drove the car on the highway for 30 min. Everything seems fine. The indention is near the top of the filter, exactly in the area where the flat segments are. Maybe it pushed in an 1/8 of an inch, instead of 1/4 like I said earlier. The internals should be perfectly fine. The canister is my concern.

FWIW, the Platinum has an "ultra strength" steel canister, NAPA says.

http://www.napafilters.com/filters/oil-filters/light-duty-oil-filters/platinumnapafilter-oil/#!prettyPhoto/0/

Hoping for the best...

I'm thinking the filter wrench must've been quite a bit larger than the diameter of the filter in order to dent it. Usually if the band is just slightly larger than the filter, it won't dent the filter while tightening. And as long as I'm writing all this, I highly recommend the KD Swivoil line of filter wrenches. They come in 4 sizes.

Don't think an ~6 mm dent on top of the oil filter will do any harm. Unless you punched a hole, you should be fine.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Everything seems fine. The indention is near the top of the filter, exactly in the area where the flat segments are. Maybe it pushed in an 1/8 of an inch,

It's perfectly fine - I've seen much, MUCH worse

As long as the element has room to travel for bypass purposes your filter is fin. Lol @ burst can.

Your first measurement was probably correct. I put a dented oil filter on my pickup and checked it after a week and the dent was gone. Pushed out by oil pressure. If you dented it with your hands, it's a soft dent and it will return to normal. Sounds like its already pushing out.

You are OK if there is no hole or deep crease.
This is a good example to have a stash of filters handy, especially in a rural location.
I always have an extra filter for each car.

If you use a wrench to tighten, put a piece of rag before slipping the wrench on the filter.

Another way is to use a cloth/leather glove for tightening instead of bare oily hand.

USE IT
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back