Briggs 22hp Professional - What oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a used Snapper LT300 that has a 22HP Briggs Professional. Quiet and smooth motor. I am wanting to change the oil and put a new filter on it. It has a yellow filter that says 020612FF which is about 2 inches long. I have enough room to put a 6 inch long filter if I could get proper cross reference. Trying to find out what options I might have. Any ideas how to find this?

check the bypass valve and thread first but I use a Motorcraft FL400s on mine.

I have the 24HP platinum engine. I run 5w30 PP in it and the oil stays clean for a long time. It blows a puff of smoke on startup but the oil level doesn't drop over the 100 hour runtime. Almost a shame to drain it at 100 hours since it look lighter than maple syrup. Its just a few quarts and oil and filter are cheap so I do it anyway.

I have about ~ 300 hours on the mower now.

The Fl-400s size is what I would use if it fits. If you want a cheaper option to the Briggs filter.
Motorcraft
Wix
Microgreen -more expensive
Fram sized 3600 I think
The first two would be the cheapest options I think

The Fl-400s size is what I would use if it fits. If you want a cheaper option to the Briggs filter.
Motorcraft
Wix
Microgreen -more expensive
Fram sized 3600 I think
The first two would be the cheapest options I think

Stick with FL-400S

No need to go "crazy" with size.... the oil pump is very small and never fills the filter entirely full anyway

Fram 3614 or equivalent is three and a half inches long,
Takes about four more ounces of oil

Fram 3600, Purolator 20195, or equivalent, is nearly five inches long...
Takes about eight more ounces of oil, about a cup....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Get the model info for the engine and look it up on the B&S website.

I second that, or Luber Finer which is the same maker, Champ labs. Because you said it is used and runs quiet and smooth. No need to fix that condition, and they made the filter that somewhat odd number and size for some reason.

Any of the 3614 size filters is better than the B&S shorty.
FL910 is good. WM closed out some Wix made Mopar filters a while back and I'm running one of those.
I also have a stash of the ECore WM Supertech filters bought for 1.00 each. I'll put one of those on in the fall when I winterize.
Even the 1.44 Rural King available EcoGard is fine.

Last edited:
I use Napa Gold 1348 on all my lawn equipment. They go on sale every so often and I stock up.

I also use and recommend the Napa gold 7145. It is a little bit smaller diameter and works great in Kawasaki and some other engines where the smaller diameter is needed or just fits better. The 7145 also has a higher burst pressure and rear end bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back