Decisions, decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what the BITOG faithful has to say on this matter

Changing the 09' Camry's oil tomorrow. Will use oversize STP XL-3600 oil filter. Oils I have on hand are:

Castrol GTX "super clean" 5w20, was $16.27-$3.00 manufacturer coupon I used today at Wal Mart

Valvoline Synpower 0w20
Valvoline 5w30 Synpower
Mobil 1 5w30: I gave to the brother for his Saab suv

Thanks gentlemen in advance

M1 5w-30. Been using that stuff for a long time. Ran two Geo Metro 1l three bangers to 185K and 186K miles on it with 7500 OCI's. The cars rotted out. The motors were still running good. Hard to argue with it.

Since you asked......Stan away from oversized filters IMHO. A dirty fliter is more efficient than a clean filter and therefore a smaller filter will become more efficient more quickly than an oversized filter. Some studies sgggest changing the oil and filter on separate intervals and not at the same time.

Run the 5W30 Synpower during the summer/fall and save the 5W20 & 0W20 for the winter season. Throw three pieces of paper in a hat & pick something. Wont matter -- Camry will purr on anybrand you listed!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I love Valvoline oil. Since it's summer I vote VSP 5w30. Save the VSP 0w20 for this winter. Lauren's Lexus will likely be getting some VSP out of my clearance stash this week when I drain out the SAE30 PYB.

Originally Posted By: ToadU
Since you asked......Stan away from oversized filters IMHO. A dirty fliter is more efficient than a clean filter and therefore a smaller filter will become more efficient more quickly than an oversized filter. Some studies sgggest changing the oil and filter on separate intervals and not at the same time.

Nah, just re use them. Car51, you of ALL PEOPLE know which ones can take a beating
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Run the 5W30 Synpower during the summer/fall and save the 5W20 & 0W20 for the winter season. Throw three pieces of paper in a hat & pick something. Wont matter -- Camry will purr on anybrand you listed!!!

Hey Ken!

Just back yesterday from Lake norman NC

Have 4K on my "car51 brew" of QSGB SAE 30/Delo 10w30/Rotella SAE 30 stuff. I'll UOA IT ALSO

Thinkin Synpower 5w30

Guys: the M1 5w30 is gone as gave to brother

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
You know I love Valvoline oil. Since it's summer I vote VSP 5w30. Save the VSP 0w20 for this winter. Lauren's Lexus will likely be getting some VSP out of my clearance stash this week when I drain out the SAE30 PYB.

You and I have major oil "issues" LOL! :^)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How old is the 0w20 Synpower? What is the intended OCI?

It's SN rated, got yesterday with work discount+ it's Autozone oil change special so $23~ ain't bad

If you ran the 5w30 SynPower would you be able to run it long enough until you can change it for the 0w20 for winter? Not sure how many miles you put on it.

Well, I put 6k on car since I had it inspected in mid March so yes I'd guess.

The Magnatec oil is a screamin deal at $17~ At Wal Mart

Kicking my arse now over that
frown.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Exchange the oil you just bought for Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. Then stop by your nearest Toyota dealership for am OEM filter. Problem solved
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I'd do the 5w30 and save the 20wt for colder weather.

Off topic: what are you going to use in the Saturn that's "rebuilt" if ya don't mind?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Exchange the oil you just bought for Pennzoil Platinum 0W20. Then stop by your nearest Toyota dealership for am OEM filter. Problem solved
laugh.gif

Haha! You finally entered the 21st century I.e. Updated your sig :^)

I am shocked you would have me trade Castrol GTX "ultra clean". Shame on you
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Haha I updated it last night afraid you were going to call me out on it again
wink.gif
11.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
laugh.gif

wink.gif

Haha I updated it last night afraid you were going to call me out on it again
wink.gif
11.gif

Must
Be that Texas weather
Getting
To you :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back