Getting Grease/Oil Spots off Asphalt Driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I have a pressure washer. Keep that in mind. I do all the oil changes on the cars in my sig. I do all the ATF and MT changes. I do all the gear oil changes. I do all the brake fluid changes. I do all the coolant changes. And yes, I have had a lot of runs and drips. One time I forgot to put the drain plug in and wasted 4 qts of Amsoil.

As a result of all the draining and filling, I have quite a few oil spots in my driveway. Some as large as 24 inches in diameter.

What is the best way to remove them? Simple Green, Purple Power,...

I can't remember but something I used whitened the asphalt and now it looks as bad as the spot it didn't remove. I need expert advice.

I put floor sweep on the spots and grind with my foot, then sweep it up. Works on my concrete.

I have used dawn (fresh spill) to bind it enough to be able to wash away. I spilled some DEX/MERC ST ATF recently wiped with a rag, and it washed off with plain water. I'm still dumbfounded.

Carb and brake cleaner can lighten the stain a fair bit, even old stains. Add cat litter to soak up excess fluid. Won't remove completely though.

That was going to be my suggestion.
No pavement looks better than a freshly dressed asphalt driveway.

Gasoline works well. Alternatively get some TSP at the home store. Scrub. You can also make an outstanding deck cleaner with the TSP. Google for various recipes. If you follow up with a quality pressure washer, you'll be very pleased.

Straight muriatic acid? Let it soak and then pressure wash?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
This is the best way to remove such spots:

Would it stick to the big oil spots?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
This is the best way to remove such spots:

Gee. I wonder if Airport Grade means airport parking lot grade?

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Straight muriatic acid? Let it soak and then pressure wash?

I've only used one type of muriatic acid, and there's directions on the bottle of how to dilute it.

I used straight acid by dropping it in moderation on the worst oil stains and then scrubbed the area immediately, then let it soak for a few minutes and rinsed it away. Made a significant difference compared to the spots that didn't have much, if any, muriatic acid.

Next round, I'll mix some up in a spray bottle and mist the entire area, then wash it away after 5-10 minutes.

Simple Green or similar is what I'd try. Mineral Spirits, turpentine, WD40 or silicone spray is good for little spot wipes, but like said, it's going to take the top coat right off. I just wipe up spots on my asphalt driveway with soapy water and a rag. I get it sealed every other year or so and touch up cracks myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back