Anyone know anything about Subaru FF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm faced with the dilemma of deciding whether an early drain of the FF in our just purchased new Subie would be advisable or not.
We know that some makers have specifically recommended that the FF not be drained early, with Honda coming to mind.
For our '12 Accord, Honda specifically recommended leaving the FF for a full normal interval. The reason appears to have been that the high moly content of the FF was found to be important in providing for proper break-in of the engine and whether that moly came from the oil formualtion, the assembly lube or the moly coating of the piston skirts really doesn't matter.
There are no recent UOAs here of Subaru FF oil except for a couple of 2 liter turbos that have nothing in common with the 2.5 in our new Forester. These UOAs did show very high moly, and it matters not whether that was part of the oil formulation or was effectively an additive from either the assembly lube or the piston skirts or both.
My concern is that I don't want to do an early change now that might bring long term higher oil consumption.
Like the Honda K24, some of these Subarus exhibit very high oil consumption and I'm trying to ensure that nothing I do will increase the likelihood of this.
I do have some very high moly 0W-20 in the form of Idemitsu HGMO API SM, so I could use that for an early drain.
What does everyone think.
I would love to hear from other FB25 owners.

Where do we get these ideas? Engine that consume oil is from manufacture or design.

Not a Subaru owner, but I'd expect the Subaru ff to be the same across models except for (maybe) viscosity. As Subaru isn't vocal about timing of the first oil change, maybe it doesn't matter. But if you want to be extra-cautious, use an oil that meets current specs and do an early drain of the ff, how about Mazda 0w-20 for the first change? It's SN and shows about 500ppm of molybdenum, which is about the same as Honda ffs.

We ran our 2.0 out 6 months 3500-4000 miles. Mom did the same with her 2015 legacy. We have 25k and 40k+ on legacy now no oil use on either

I've got an UOA on the factory fill out of a 2016 Crosstrek which has the 2.0. If I get a chance I'll post it tomorrow and put the link in this thread.

Auch danke!
Trav, is that a grammatically correct phrasing?

Thanks.
Just looked at it.
Safe to say that there is no excess of either moly or ZDDP in Subaru's FF.
I think I'll do a 50% (3K) first run and then go to normal intervals.

I have a 2011 outback and a 2014 WRX which both had the FF IN FOR 3000 miles. Neither if these cars have oil consumption issues. 2011 Outback has 100,000 and the WRX has 18,000. Had a 2000 Outback same 3000 miles on FF sold it with 125,000 miles on it, never used any oil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Where do we get these ideas? Engine that consume oil is from manufacture or design.

Because there was a Honda TSB that said so? It's not as though Honda didn't know how to design and manufacture an inline four.
Some K24s use oil while some don't.
Ours doesn't.
Connection?
IDK. All I know is that I followed Honda's recommendations and have a 70K engine that needs no adds on an 8k+ OCI.
I ran the FF 8.7K, to 15% MM.

OP, imo, newer, better metals, computerized machining resulting in tighter tolerances mean less metal floating around in the engine in the first 1000 miles. the metal that is there is caught by the filter. in my 16 ram 1500 i went 3600 miles before i changed to a synthetic oil. i believe you will be perfectly fine going for at least half a normal loci.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
All I know is that I followed Honda's recommendations and have a 70K engine that needs no adds on an 8k+ OCI.
I ran the FF 8.7K, to 15% MM.

Answered your own question - run the Subaru FF out to whatever Subaru recommend and I've no doubt the engine will do just as well as your Honda.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Running it hard and sealing the rings good will do more for oil consumption than any oil you could put in the crankcase

My wife will be driving the 'roo and she has a twenty five mile commute through cut and thrust traffic, about twenty of which is on an interstate where speed will vary from nil to young seventies on a typical morning, so that part is a given.
OTOH, I've always driven new cars gently for their first thousand miles and I've never had one I've owned from new develop any notable oil consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back