rj45 and rj11 jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an rj11 jack on the back of my cable modem in which I use a home phone. As my current Cox plan is ending and I don't want to rent a modem, I'm looking to purchase one with this feature. Needle in a haystack and Cox "tech help" said I should go to Best Buy to find one...had NO clue and didn't seem to want to be bothered.

Is it possible to use a rj45 to rj11 adapter in my router and accomplish the same thing?

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Is it possible to use a rj45 to rj11 adapter in my router and accomplish the same thing?

No. You need an "EMTA" or "telephony" cable modem and they can be difficult to fine.

Check with your provider for a list of supported modems.

You might find this model: ARRIS / Surfboard TG1682 at Best Buy. It is on the Cox list.

Last edited:
Thanks AandPDan,
I called back they was told you basically can't buy an emta modem. Have to rent it. So, in order to get the discounted package, you have to get a modem not available to the public and the discounted "triple deal" isn't a deal because with the added cost, I'll only be paying $5 less that what I'm paying now. I did see a Netgear model (CM500V), but you can't find it for sale.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
Are you attached to your current number? If not you could use Google Voice with one of these:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/googlevoice

plugs into your router...

That's exactly what I did five years ago. At the time we still had some entities using our landline number so I didn't want to discontinue it, but I also didn't want to keep paying a lot of money for it either since it was rarely used. It is possible to port your landline number to Google voice, but you have to port it to a disposable cell phone first (I used an AT&T Go Phone) and then into GV.

Google Voice doesn't have 911 capability and no CNAM (name display on the caller ID). It will display the number however. But for about $1.20 a month I buy 911 service and CNAM from Anveo so that makes it a fully functional "landline".

Nowadays we get almost zero calls so I'll probably let the Anveo services lapse. One great thing about GV is the spam blocking which I find works very well.

Wolf359,
Yeas I'll see if the fee could be removed. You never know, right? I do already have an Asus router with wifi.

Brons2 & kschachn, yes I am sort of attached to my number...had it 20+ years. I've looked into GV and the obi, but I think I might port my # to Ooma an plug into my router. Costs less than $5 per month and seems like the simpler way to go. Cox does offer a package for the same price as the one WITH phone and THEIR modem. Monthly cost is lower with less taxes, fees, and possible no modem fee, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back