Purolator L14477 Cut Open (Torn Media)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter came off my 2.2L Toyota Celica after 3600 miles and 6 months of use. I was using Napa synthetic 5w-30 oil, and decided to change it after replacing my valve cover gasket yesterday. This is one of the white painted Purolators with the newer louvered center tubes. Previously I thought that they fixed the tearing issue around the time when the new center tubes appeared. Apparently not:

Needless to say I'm done using Purolator oil filters.

Bummer that it tore on you. Same place where they've all been tearing at the wide pleats right next to the seam. I used to be a big Pure One fan back when they were popular here then switched to Car Quest Blue filters back when they were made by Wix since a friend was a manager at a local Car Quest and I got them for a screaming deal. I also avoid Purolator filters with the only exception being the FL910S Motorcraft that I've had excellent luck with.

Thank you for posting
smile.gif

F09G08E1
September 8, 2016

What did you replace it with?

A Hastings filter from Rockauto. Cheap, but hopefully better than a torn filter.

Originally Posted By: Oversteer
Needless to say I'm done using Purolator oil filters.

Most people who knew about the tearing issue were done with them 3 years ago when reports of Tearolators were popping up all over the place.

I still have about 20 gold colored PureOne filters for my Hondas.

I'll definitely use them, I'm not really worried about quality for such old cars.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
smile.gif

F09G08E1
September 8, 2016

I think it's 9/8/2015

Originally Posted By: Oversteer
A Hastings filter from Rockauto. Cheap, but hopefully better than a torn filter.

Hastings is like baldwin: built good
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Thank you for posting
smile.gif

F09G08E1
September 8, 2016

I think it's 9/8/2015

Yes, it is, You're right. Sorry for the mistake
blush.gif
sleep.gif

Too bad you had a torn filter. I had a Motorcraft FL-820S do this. Tears on either side of the seam. It also had the wide pleat spaces. I have 2 Pure Ones and two FL-820S left in the stash. Since these occur quickly in the OCI, I think I will just pitch them. No reason to take the risk.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I still have about 20 gold colored PureOne filters for my Hondas.

I'll definitely use them, I'm not really worried about quality for such old cars.

Well it's good that your not worried about the filter quality.

full-4879-6948-1_8.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back