Non smooth running oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys
I keep reading here about such and such oil being solo smooth running.
What major oil is non smooth??
I have never used any oil that was noticeably rough and to tell you the truth,I can't tell any difference between brands.
Please let me know the non smooth ones so I can keep my eye out for them.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I think it really depends on the specific engine.

Agreed.

To be honest I always felt that being able to tell the difference between oils was a joke! But now I feel there is some truth to it ever since I bought my 13 Mustang GT and 12 Nissan Pathfinder it seems I can tell some difference in idle of both engines when I run different oil. Much more so on the V6 in my Pathfinder it seems the motor is real sensitive to oil type at idle and runs the smoothest on Valvoline Syn Power. And that's running the same brand and type of oil filter so I have ruled the filter out.

I've not noticed any difference in smoothness among different brands. Different viscosities certainly, though, can make a difference in engine noise.

I'm of the opinion that engine oil is very much like drugs. Take ibuprofen for example. You've got Motrin IB, Advil and just about every retailer has their own house brand, but they're all chemically identical and work the same.

I would say.... 0w20 or 5w20 viscosities are amongst "non smooth' ones
smile.gif

In over 45 years of driving I can not tell the difference in "smoothness or quietness" between oil brands. I guess my butt is numb and I'm hard of hearing
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
In over 45 years of driving I can not tell the difference in "smoothness or quietness" between oil brands. I guess my butt is numb and I'm hard of hearing
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

x2, but I haven't used anything but Pennzoil for the last 47 years
thumbsup2.gif

I noticed my sienna ran smoother when I started using 0w20 instead of the 5w30 it was speced for from factory. I also noticed my truck ran higher rpms when I went from 5w30 to 0w40...but I did get a IAC engine light near the same time and I am having it off for cleaning now before I decide it was the oil.

I'm not sure about non smooth oils,but Pennzoil of any flavor is the smoothest running oil I've ever used,in every car I've owned.

I have never noticed it so much in brands of oil, but have noticed it in viscosity
The Ranger in my signature sounds like old agricultural equipment on the recommended 5W20.
With 5W30 in it, it is smooth and much quieter.

I can't take the stuff now but in the older days I noticed the generic Aleve was far more potent than the name brand.
Since then I have talked to many people and without mentioning it they brought it up as well.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I've not noticed any difference in smoothness among different brands. Different viscosities certainly, though, can make a difference in engine noise.

I'm of the opinion that engine oil is very much like drugs. Take ibuprofen for example. You've got Motrin IB, Advil and just about every retailer has their own house brand, but they're all chemically identical and work the same.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Whimsey

Try Magnatec.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'm not sure about non smooth oils,but Pennzoil of any flavor is the smoothest running oil I've ever used,in every car I've owned.

Wait a cotton pickin second: you're a CASTROL GTX addict; evidence is the GTX UOA
wink.gif

BUSTED! LOL :^)

Ive never noticed a smoother engine but I have noticed that when I used mobil 1 on my 2010 Mazda 3 the engine was louder than other oils. Didn't really bother me but I noticed it right away.

I have had some oils (or it could have been the filter's ADV) that have reduced (or increased) initial start up noise, but can't say I have had an oil make an engine run "smoother".
The Havoline High Mileage I am using now has almost eleminated the startup tick I had compared to the Valvoline NextGen I had used for previous changes, but again, it could be the ST2 filter that I am also using for the first time.

I know many that are using Magnatec for the first time say they feel a difference.
21.gif

IMHO, it is 90% psychological most of the time when changing brands so long as weight grade also stays the same.

I've had a few different brands of oil over the years make an engine sound louder, even long after it reached full operating temperature. Some people claim that's [censored], I beg to differ. FTR is wasn't from any of the major brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back