Mazda 6 wheel bearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
The right rear wheel bearing on my 2012 Mazda 6 with 78,000 miles is starting to hum and I think it’s on its way out. I checked the price of a Mazda OEM hub and I can get it for about $95 plus shipping. Should I go with the OEM or with an aftermarket? If so, which brand? For comparison, Rock Auto has a Moog for $48, a Timken for $50 and a Centric for $115. To let you know I would prefer not to have to do this again so I willing to pay a premium for a top notch part. Another piece of info is that when I looked at the Timken image online at RockAuto I could see the Mazda part number and emblem on the Timken image – so it may be a no brainer to go with the Timken. Thoughts?

I just changed a rear wheel bearing/hub assembly on my '09 Mazda 5. I'd solicited opinions on different brands from the BITOG crew about a week ago, and went with an SKF from NAPA. It was made in Japan and has a lifetime warranty. (Of course you've got a much greater selection in the US, but the SKF seemed to be my best option.)

My hub was held in place from the inside of the knuckle with T-50 Torx bolts.

I've had horrible luck with non OEM bearings with the exception of SKF bearings. That doesn't mean that all aftermarket are bad or sub par, just my experience. The OE part for under $100 seems like a no brainer to me unless an SKF could be sourced for less.

Originally Posted By: Kira
FYI: Right Front bearing in my sister's 2012 Mazda3 went out under warranty and Mazda replaced both of them.

Is Mazda "bearing challenged"?
Perhaps, but mine may have been assisted by a loved one hitting a curb hard enough to blow a tire a year or so ago.

The Mazda OEM bearing is made by Koyo, they come in these really cool plastic tubs. Seem to do a lot of them on Mazdas for whatever reason.

Timken, SKF or Koyo should all be fine. There isn't a ton of bearing manufacturers out there. I've installed everything from the "premium" MOOG bearings to the white-box $25 bearings at work, depending on what the customer wants, and I honestly can't think of one single instance where one has come back for a failure. That being said, I've had bad ABS sensors right out of the box with hub-bearing assemblies, but even those have been few and far between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back