2017 Jetta TSI SE 1.4L Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: drtyler
OP states 502 spec required. I have a '17 GTI and can confirm that VW is still calling for 502 oils in the gasoline engines. Why post all the 504/507 oils??

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
You can also add:
- Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
- Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30
- ROWE Multi Synt DPF 5W-30

to the 504.00/507.00 (aka Porsche C30) list.

This is strange. My 2015 GTI operators manual indicates 502.00, 503.00 or 504.00 (that is 5w-40 or 5w-30 or other grade appropriate for climate and conditions).

Originally Posted By: SR5
Yeah I get the SAPS level difference, and I think 504/507 is better called a low-SAPS oil as many mid-SAPS oils are still 502/505 (ACEA C3) along with the high SAPS A3/B4 oils. I also get the sulphur in fuel thing and the OCI thing.

What I don't get is why. In Europe the same engine specs 504 / 507 and sure they have very low sulphur fuel, but Australia also spec the 504 / 507 oil and we have about the same (or a touch more) sulphur in our fuel as you do.

Also I believe the OCI in Europe is longer on low-SAPS oil (more like 20k miles) so why go shorter in the US on a higher SAPS oil ?

The spec for 504/507 is very high, one of the highest out there, it' takes a very high quality oil to meet it. The older 502/505 is a much easier spec to meet, many semi-synthetics carry it. Sure M1 or Edge 0W40 are high very high quality oils that carry 502/505 too, and would be great to use for the OP.

But why not tell people in North America to use the oil the engine was designed around. If you are worried about fuel, still spec 504/507 but just drop the OCI to 10k mikes (which they have anyway). Unless the SAPS is so low and the fuel is so bad, that they don't even think they can make 10k miles and they need the old high SAPS spec.

Yeah it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If it were me I would use a more modern 504/507 oil that is stated to be backwards compatible with 502. I wonder if money is what is driving the 502 spec for U.S.... VW can save more money that way with oil changes.

Bob - I went out and checked over lunch.

Label under hood that states " Engine Oil - Use only oil that expressly complies with VW 502 00."

Checked owner's manual, and it did show 502, 503, 504 oils but only as part of the "If you need to add oil between changes" paragraph.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: drtyler
OP states 502 spec required. I have a '17 GTI and can confirm that VW is still calling for 502 oils in the gasoline engines. Why post all the 504/507 oils??

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
You can also add:
- Pentosin Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
- Total Quartz INEO Longlife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan GT1 PRO C-3 5W-30
- ROWE Multi Synt DPF 5W-30

to the 504.00/507.00 (aka Porsche C30) list.

This is strange. My 2015 GTI operators manual indicates 502.00, 503.00 or 504.00 (that is 5w-40 or 5w-30 or other grade appropriate for climate and conditions).

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
What is that about women and sunroofs?? My wife drives me nuts car shopping.
I don't get the sunroof thing, it's a priority with them.
It's a possible leak, weak spot to me.

I "had" the same problem with my wife but it was her fascination with convertibles. They think they will look like some rich socialite driving one. I rented a convertible in Las Vegas one time just to get it out of her system in how noisy they were and while it looked cool in movie driving one on the PCH in California, they suck as daily drivers.

8e30a4569444075f001a56e5be4f2b22.jpg

Thanks for all the good replies. I actually like sunroofs personally. She likes the car and the old saying -- happy wife -- happy life holds truth to be self evident.
wink.gif

Picked up a jug of Castrol Edge 0W40 paired with a Fram Ultra at Wally World for the initial OCI. Probably gonna run the factory fill at least 3000 miles.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Picked up a jug of Castrol Edge 0W40 paired with a Fram Ultra at Wally World for the initial OCI. Probably gonna run the factory fill at least 3000 miles.

Good oil choice, it's what I run in the GTI and the 2.5 Jetta it replaced. Never was a fan of aftermarket filters though. I could pick up a filter and drain plug cheaper at the dealer.

I changed the factory oil out at 1400 miles and plan on a change at 5K, and every 5k after. 10K oil changes just don't sit well with me on turbo cars.

Oh, im in agreement with you with long oil changes on turbo/direct engine cars. Oil is cheap -- motors/turbos are not. The Jetta will get changed every five thousand moving forward. I will run the Ultra filter multiple times though.

Picked up a jug of Castrol Edge 0W40 paired with a Fram Ultra

Good choice.

Oh, im in agreement with you with long oil changes on turbo/direct engine cars. Oil is cheap -- motors/turbos are not. The Jetta will get changed every five thousand moving forward. I will run the Ultra filter multiple times though.

Well I'm going to have to retract my previous comment, I had forgotten the 1.4T uses a spin on filter. My old Jetta and now my GTI uses the cartridge type and the only ones I found satisfactory were Mann/Mahle filters from the dealer. The Ultra will serve very well in this case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back