Best High Mileage Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose the answer to your question really depends. For mending seal weeps or questionable gaskets I prefer Valvoline Max Life either in the red bottle synthetic blend or the silver bottle full synthetic with the red cap. For an older engine with borderline oil pressure I prefer M1 HM. Really the best course of action though is to fix any leaks or seal issues and then run a normal oil. My 4Runner has made it to 329,000 miles on 99% normal every day conventional oil. Doesn't leak or burn a drop.

I can say I've had luck with Valvoline's FS with Maxlife. I would say that if it cures a small oil leak without having to do any work, it is a win. They might all work well, but Maxlife has worked for me.

I use a quality synthetic already and don't know I'll ever see the need for high mileage blend. High mileage blend sounds like a marketing scheme. lol

The "best" is very subjective, but I have used PPHM, M1HM, and VMLFS. For what it is worth, I prefer the Valvoline Maxlife FS. Bottom line for me is that it is spec'd for my cars/trucks and has been better at reducing, slowing or stopping leaks/weeping than the others in my cars that have needed that. I used it now for everything regardless of mileage.

There is no best, but I like Valvoline MaxLife. Simply put, my engine was smoother with it than other oils.

Which one cleans the best and which one reduces consumption? I hear good things about M1 cleaning and RP hmx for slowing down consumption. I use about 1 qrt every 3k or less, give or take some so looking for something to reduce consumption.

Last edited:
ML has slowed leaking and burning in every vehicle I've used it in, including the synthetic version-but I'm not sold on the extra $ over the synthetic blend. When it's $7-10 more a jug, I'm not sure the synthetic ML is that much better. Kind of like M1 AP.

Another vote for Full Synthetic Maxlife.
OTOH, I even had luck with Supertech 5w30 High Mileage. Eliminated oil consumption (it was 1qt/5k miles) and stopped a valve cover "sweating" syndrome.

If it must be "synthetic", a marketing term, then any CK-4/SN or CK-4/SM will do in your choice of viscosity.
Engines using these oils routinely go over 1 million miles.
How much "high mileage", another marketing term, do you need?

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but I could have sworn I remember seeing that PQIA showed Pennzoil to have a lower (better) NOACK volatility value than Valvoline. So, on paper, even if MaxLife's additives do better at conditioning seals to slow leaks, it would still "burn" more quickly than Pennzoil HM. So, I guess it depends on whether your vehicle is more of a burner or a leaker!

Edit: I will put my foot in my mouth now, as I just proved myself wrong:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/maxlifeHM.htm
http://www.pqiamerica.com/June 2014/PZHM.htm

However, it seems that PHM has a stouter additive package, so there's that going for it, plus PHM uses Moly and Boron whereas VML doesn't, but rather uses Sodium.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triton_330
I could have sworn I remember seeing that PQIA showed Pennzoil to have a lower (better) NOACK volatility value than Valvoline.

The reason I incorrectly recalled that was due to this PQIA comparison, where Pennzoil Ultra had the lowest NOACK value of 6.6, and Valvoline Synpower had a NOACK value of 11.6:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/Marchsyntheticsallfinal.html

Of course, that was a comparison of synthetics rather than HM oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back