2014 RAV4 transmission fluid change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new to us RAV4.Has 46,xxx miles on it and I was thinking of doing a trans fluid change as preventative maintenance .Upon doing a little research,it appears as these trans are a sealed unit and "lifetime" fluid.has anyone successfully serviced one of these without going and having them hooked up to the "machine".
I know it takes the Toyota ws fluid but max lifeatf is compatible and have used that in our 12 corolla.
Also plan on changing out the rear diff and transfer to royal purple 75w-90.
Thanks in advance

Planning to do everything except oil/filter as that was just done at the dealership...then I'll run Royal Purple w/K+N filter.

Off topic One of my friends has a 14 Rav with a 4 cyl . What a solid car I enjoy driving it. Clean oil is good oil.

I thought the new "sealed" Toyota transmissions still had a drain plug and fill hole. In that case, you can do the fluid change with no problems
smile.gif

Lifetime fluid is good until the trans fails period. I've seen some so called lifetime fluids shot at 60k miles. They call them lifetime fluids so it is one less thing on the maintenance list for the typical owner.
Ram, some members will be here shortly to educate you on the subject. I'm not qualified to go in depth.

Change out the front transaxle gear fluid if applicable. The transaxle leaks on my rav4.

Yes from what I'm seeing you can drop the pan and change filter then refill.probably end up going that route then drain and refill a few times to get 100% new fluid

Even though it's supposed to be "lifetime" fluid I'd like to all I can to prolong the life of the tranny and have it last for a long time with no worries

Originally Posted By: TC280rem
Even though it's supposed to be "lifetime" fluid I'd like to all I can to prolong the life of the tranny and have it last for a long time with no worries

My Rav is still basically on the FF. It clunks and makes some noises when down shifting. I'll be lucky to get 400k miles out of it.

Upgrade to a higher viscosity grade or two is the most 'effortless and assured' way of achieving same.
No, the trans won't blow up AND it could run cooler, IMHO.

My IS seems to chew up ATF in less than 40k, start to get jerky and just "not right." Next exachge i do I'm definitely avoiding WS.

Lifetime fill means till the tranny blows up from not being serviced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

My Rav is still basically on the FF. It clunks and makes some noises when down shifting. I'll be lucky to get 400k miles out of it.
wow looks like you have a few miles on your 04 RAV4.....
Just ordered 3 5qt jugs of the MaxLife ATF....should be enough so I can do our 12 Corolla and take care of theRav4.Mostly wanna do it for "piece of mind" ,then I'll know the condition of the fluid.Might even add a trans cooler at same time as I may do some light towing with it from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back