VWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many people here have run VWB premium conventional? Did you like or do you like it pretty good??

I think its just a plain vanilla oil. It doesn't seem to clean as well as Castrol or Pennzoil by judging looking at dirty engines after using it awhile. I wouldn't say it's bad oil, just no frills oil.
Valvoline Synthetic failed to impress me too.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think its just a plain vanilla oil. It doesn't seem to clean as well as Castrol or Pennzoil by judging looking at dirty engines after using it awhile. I wouldn't say it's bad oil, just no frills oil.

That's kind've how I feel about it too. PYB has much better specs and add pack.

Is this a serious question, after posting 2799 times your question is if VWB is a good oil.
06.gif

Yes this is.... So, get over it this time. It is not wrong to ask a question like this. I generally start a thread giving my review or thoughts of a product.

Last edited:
Okay this time I will get over it. I think I will post what people think about PYB and if they think it's a good oil fully knowing the answer to that question. Surely you knew the answer to the question about VWB.

I really like VWB. It's my absolute #1 go to for conventional oil, has been for as long as I can remember. Where I grew up Pennzoil and Quaker state had almost no following at all, it was public knowledge (correct or founded in any real truth or not) that Pennzoil and Quaker State oils were dirty oils that would sludge up your engine. My father used it neighbors used it the whole town pretty much. You were definitely an outlier if you didn't. Fast forward years and I worked in several shops rebuilding engines, the Valvoline engines always seemed to be nice and clean inside. Currently my oils are mostly clearance oils so I have quite a variety of oils and I actually ran Pennzoil in one of my cars for the first time nust this year. I'm still a Valvoline guy I suppose. I haven't had a reason to change.

Well what I wanted was other people's thoughts about it. Simple. Not that difficult really. Not asking for the directions of how to build the space shuttle. Not asking for smart donkey responses either. I enjoy hearing what other people's experiences have been and what they have to say that is constructive or helpful.

Originally Posted By: Tech819
Okay this time I will get over it. I think I will post what people think about PYB and if they think it's a good oil fully knowing the answer to that question. Surely you knew the answer to the question about VWB.

Sometimes people have no knowledge of what they are using even though they have used it for decades. Many times it is a habit without anything much more than that to it.
Its an oil forum ain't it?

When I came on BITOG in 2004, VWB was considered a low additive, overpriced oil....now it's considered a top of the line conventional. I have trouble forgetting the past so I'm not a big fan of VWB even though it's probably a very good oil.
Valvoline Synpower is also a very good oil but I remember reading that it's not really an extended drain oil....who knows if that's true or not?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Panzerman

That's kind've how I feel about it too. PYB has much better specs and add pack.

Me three
smile.gif

I use VWB in my wife's Yaris. I am partial to Valvoline products for some reason or another and I use SynPower in the truck and Mazda. I cut my filters open and after 5k miles or so in the yaris, the OEM filter looks clean. The yaris has 92k miles on it and Ive been using the VWB for quite some time.

I've got it running in my Jeep, (Napa conventional, same stuff), no complaints. Will use it for the next 3 changes too since I got a bunch for $1 per quart. Have 2 oil changes worth for my mom's Patriot too.

VWB used to be my "go to oil" before I found out about (almost) annual clearance sales. Never had any issues with it, still don't.

I know many don't like the high sodium in Valvoline oils, but VOA and UOA look good for it overall.
Seems Valvoline's biggest problem is extended OCI, TBN drops quickly as the miles add upon ones I looked at a while back.

I have a mechanic friend of mine that swears by it (for whatever that is worth (nothing)). Uses it on everything he owns and services (unless given something else by the customer) with no oil related issues, but then any name brand oil will do that too.

I'm a Valvoline guy, but have to say I can't find a reason to use VWB really. If I bought a cheap car that called for dino and I didn't know the history, I'd probably use PYB for the detergents. If it had leaks/weeping, I'd probably use Valvoine ML blend. Although, Mantooth's UOA sticks in the back of my mind should I ever find a situation I might use it for. JM2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back