Beer can chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

First time. I had no beer so I used 1/4 cup of Dr. Pepper. I hope that does not raise my blood sugar.
Rubbed it down with garlic powder, onion powder, some salt and pepper. A little dry mustard too.

Its still cooking. I put in oak sticks from my 2 oaks.

I used to do this quite a bit. I found that I really liked the flavor! Thanks for reminding me of this.

I had far better results if the can was not full.

Something looks funny there...chicky ought to be standing straight up with the can inside the body cavity. This way the steam gets inside.

Oh well....

It'll probably still taste great! Good choice of seasoning too. Best chicken skin ever this way. If the thighs are not cooked all the way through the joint, you can fix that in the microwave @50% power.

Time to sharpen the boning knife!

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Something looks funny there...chicky ought to be standing straight up with the can inside the body cavity. This way the steam gets inside.

Oh well....

It'll probably still taste great! Good choice of seasoning too. Best chicken skin ever this way. If the thighs are not cooked all the way through the joint, you can fix that in the microwave @50% power.

It was not a true beer can.
This. We found it at a garage sale for a $1.
http://www.qvc.com/Ale-House-Roaster-with-Recipe-Book-and-Carving-Set.product.K5549.html

it was incredibly juicy! Going to try Mexican Coke next time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
looks great I want a bite of the skin.

The BEST part!
20.gif

Looks delicious....I'm surprised that somebody hasn't complained about the 'rights of chickens' yet.....somebody like Cass Sunstein...

That roaster is a good idea. Regular beer can chicken I feel like gets infused with BPA from the can's liner.

Beer can chicken made with a Sam Adams is to die for.
I cut the whole top of the can open, not just pop the top.
Get your spices between the skin the meat to season. A couple pats of real butter rubbed in too.
That's a great roaster you have... did it right over charcoal.
Good to see People Eating Tasty Animals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beanoil
Beer can chicken made with a Sam Adams is to die for.
I cut the whole top of the can open, not just pop the top.
Get your spices between the skin the meat to season. A couple pats of real butter rubbed in too.
That's a great roaster you have... did it right over charcoal.
Good to see People Eating Tasty Animals.

Oh we did. And inside the cavity. Plus some butter pats under the skin. Charcoal is the only way to cook!

Last edited:
I smoke chicken, i have never tried beer. How does the beer add to the taste? does it taste like beer? I may try this.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Oh well....

http://www.qvc.com/Ale-House-Roaster-with-Recipe-Book-and-Carving-Set.product.K5549.html

I understand it's not a true beer can. My point is chicky needs to be 'sitting upright on the throne' so that the boiling liquid steams the hollow body cavity.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I smoke chicken, i have never tried beer. How does the beer add to the taste? does it taste like beer? I may try this.

I did not use beer. I used Dr. Pepper. 1/4 cup.
You can use Coke. orange juice, apple juice, whiskey.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

Oh well....

I understand it's not a true beer can. My point is chicky needs to be 'sitting upright on the throne' so that the boiling liquid steams the hollow body cavity.

Yeah, it went on a tad crooked. It was super moist all the way through!!!

Originally Posted By: spasm3

It really doesn't:
Science of Beer Can Chicken

But it is still a neat way to cook chicken and is very tasty. I still say you can taste some of the things you put in the can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back