Chorizo??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently ran across two recipes calling for Mexican (not Spanish) Chorizo. Never had it, much less cooked it. At the store, I read the label on four different products:

Pork lymph nodes, salivary glands, and lips.

WTH???

Disgusting....

I proceeded with one recipe, but made my own chorizo from scratch. I found the recipe in "Smoke & Spice". There's another here very similar to S&S.

It's a spiced Pork product. Generally quite fatty since the fat is needed for most recipes containing Chorizo (eg to mix egg and chorizo for what actual Mexicans eat for a breakfast burrito).

I have no idea what you were looking at at the grocery store, maybe it was authentic Mexican Chorizo as it is peasant food there, but ground pork should be the main ingredient. You can substitute the Spanish product in most dishes if necessary. It should come in sausage form, which you break up in dishes.

I bought commercial chorizo before from the local Kroger. It came in a sausage tube but it had the consistency of paste. In a skillet about 90 percent of it liquefied, leaving only small chunks of fleshy material behind.

It's pretty low on my list of foods to eat.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Recently ran across two recipes calling for Mexican (not Spanish) Chorizo. Never had it, much less cooked it. At the store, I read the label on four different products:

WTH???

Disgusting....

Those are the correct "authentic" ingredients. Get used to it..Coming to everyone's
neighborhood soon..

Originally Posted By: E150GT
You think hot dogs are made of anything better?
Not talking about hot dogs.

Check the title.

Oh lawdy, lawdy. Hot dogs, potted meat, etc. It is all full of "parts" the only thing that goes to waste is the oink or moo!!

Check the title.

Why don't you check your own reading comprehension.

I'm sure E150GT is well aware you were talking about Chorizo.

Their comparison to hot dogs was certainly referring your naive surprise as to what might be in the mystery meat stuffed into a casing of any sausage. After all, Chorizo and hot dogs are both sausages, with the latter simply American slang for "German sausages."

Last edited:

Fast forward to 5:25 haha

Check the title.

i'm aware. Chorizo mixed with melted queso on a flour tortilla. Thats heaven.

WTH???

Disgusting....

I proceeded with one recipe, but made my own chorizo from scratch. I found the recipe in "Smoke & Spice". There's another here very similar to S&S.

And you live in Texas!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Never seen tripe till I lived in south TX

I still have nightmares of showing up for dinner as a young boy and seeing tripe as the entree. My dad sure loved it though. He grew up on a farm in a poor family during the Great Depression. My mom, pretty much the same story. They ate anything that moved and left absolutely no waste.

Unfortunately the great designer didn't see fit to make pigs out of pork chops and bacon, but included all of the other systems and sub parts to enable them to grow from a single cell to quite large.

When the pork chops and bacon parts are separated, the rest of the animal has a value chain in terms of reducing cost per pound, and reducing utility, until you get down to what were traditionally "peasant foods"...head cheese, blood sausage and the like.

They SOUND multicultural and exotic...but their roots were anything but.

the hot dog analogy is entirely sound, as the stuff that goes into them is utter rubbish (google hotdog factory), but paradoxically, they are one of the best sources of Vitamin K2 in the western world.

Originally Posted By: spiritrider

Check the title.

Why don't you check your own reading comprehension.

I'm sure E150GT is well aware you were talking about Chorizo.

Their comparison to hot dogs was certainly referring your naive surprise as to what might be in the mystery meat stuffed into a casing of any sausage. After all, Chorizo and hot dogs are both sausages, with the latter simply American slang for "German sausages."
Must be getting over-heated up in the NE this time of year......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back