EcoBoost 3.5L 2016 Explorer Oil usage question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife has a 2016 Explorer 3.5L EcoBoost SUV. It has 10k miles on it. We use Amsoil 5W30 or wwhat is recommended. The oil filter is also Amsoil. The oil is changed once a year in the fall. Now we did this with the 2013 same motor SUV with no problems. The question is she may just keep this SUV past the 3 years and is this once a year oil change be detrimental after 3 years? She will be retired and less miles per year will be racked up.

What are the driving conditions? How many miles/year? Have you done a UOA to determine the condition of the oil after a year? It should be fine, depending on the miles driven, and the conditions which they were driven under. You're going to get lots of opinions, I'd get a UOA and know for sure, it is a DI turbo engine and I'd want to play it safe.

Not sure what Amsoil product you are using - or what limit your Ford oil life monitor allows you to run. I say "allow" with the warranty in mind - it is a black box recording device world.
With our Explorer - with our driving habits - one year or 10k is not going to happen regardless of oil selection ... unless willing to circumvent OLM

There is an oil monitor, countdown thingie no? Use it. Believe in Amsoil.

Wanted a UOA but the USPS lost the sample. Next time I will get 2 samples. Driving conditions are what a city only car to be. 20 miles to work. Stop and go at 40 mph max. Once a year a 700 mile trip using the highway. SUV only sees WOT a little if I drive it with my grandson as a passenger.

I'd guess you're fine if you're following the OLM. But a UOA doesn't hurt to confirm your driving conditions align with the OLM predictions.

Oh I truly believe in the oil I use but only have only used it with a naturally aspirated engine. I'm using the twin turbo setup on the wife's car as a test bed for the grandson's car. I was going to twin turbo my F-150 but can't do it anymore so I gave the grandson all the turbo stuff. He will be putting his LS engine thru a lot of hard miles. I'll get him a set of heads and a short block to take it.

Running Amsoil SS and following OLM is top shelf ...
IMO - an UOA would be for someone wanting to run it a very long time.
Is it all wheel drive?

I think these engines can be tough on oil by diluting it with fuel and shearing it. Whether that causes more wear is to be determined. I don't know whether an oil like Amsoil will guard against duel dilution for a long OCI. Time and UOA's will tell.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
I think these engines can be tough on oil by diluting it with fuel and shearing it. Whether that causes more wear is to be determined. I don't know whether an oil like Amsoil will guard against duel dilution for a long OCI. Time and UOA's will tell.

Whimsey

I agree. It's a shame the OP's UOA got lost in the mail, that would have eliminated any guess work.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
That's a number one concern but I never see any oil consumption nor add any. Well built engine it appears.

In a recent vacation of 3,600 miles, 6 days of actual driving, our 2017 2.3L EB Explorer only used the extra 3 oz I added over the 5.7 oz spec'd. This was mostly very high speed driving, 75-85 mph for hours on end. There is NO gasoline smell when checking the oil, so I assume it's not being fuel diluted significantly. When we started the vacation the there was only 5,300 miles on the new vehicle. I will do an UOA when I change the oil. I believe Ford has done a good job lately in building their DI Turbo engines.

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back