I'm looking for a treatment for door gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
For our 2001 Impala, what would be a good product to apply to the black rubber door gaskets to rejuvenate them so they will do a good job of sealing out rain like they use to when the car was younger?

Thanks in advance for any reply's.

For a 2001 I'd think the best treatment would be a new car loan.

28.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Is the rubber dried out? Also, is the door sitting flush? I know my Jetta warped its door. It may have had forged hinges, but apparently they weren't up to gravity and time. So the door needed periodic tweaking so as to make opening easier.

I've used silicone grease, silicone spray, vasoline and fluid film.

Silicone spray penetrates the best but I wonder about the acetone carrier. Fluid film penetrates second best and makes them look really black and fresh.

Shin-Etsu Silicone grease, Gummi Pflege, Krytox, or 303 Rubber Seal Protectant are all good options.

If the seals are leaking, they need to be replaced.

I can't imagine it would be that expensive to buy a brand new gasket?

If the seals are in good order rub them with a piece of bee wax and you are good to go for another 2 years.

Don't use paraffin wax.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I use shin etsu grease

Me too. It works very well.

Isn't that stuff pretty thick goop like Vaseline? I asked the Honda dealer to put some in the window channels and it seemed very thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Canadastang
Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
Best I've seen is the 'Gummi Pflege Stift' bottle.

+1 awesome stuff. But where on earth can you find it?

Amazon has it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
I use shin etsu grease

Me too. It works very well.

Isn't that stuff pretty thick goop like Vaseline? I asked the Honda dealer to put some in the window channels and it seemed very thick.

I use Shin Etsu too. It is pretty thick, a lot like silicone paste. You really only need a tiny tiny bit. Clean the seals with water first, then rub in the Shin Estu very sparingly. If the seals are torn or broken, I'd replace it. The Shin Etsu is better for maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back