Oil for Racing and Spirited Driving Apps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At the moment, my level of oil experience isn't very broad, especially in the realm of racing and spirited driving, I would like to keep this to oils that are easy to obtain. Currently the oils I'm familiar with at the moment for some momentary full throttle fun with my little CRX Si is with Valvoline Max Life 10w40 and Mobil 1 10w30. My car is speced for 10w40 weight, but from what I understand, the engine isn't very picky on what oil to use. When I used Valvoline Maxlife for a bit, I honestly didn't get much life from it, my car burned oil, it didn't feel like the engine was very responsive either. So I switched over to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, smoked has stopped as far as I can tell after a little running and the engine feels much more responsive. So for now Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, it seems pretty good, Mobil 1 list the HTHS as 3.5, so for oils that I will use later, that will be the base line. Also oil consumption is much reduced with this oil.

So for those of you that race or do spirited driving in the mountains or canyons, please share your experiences and knowledge. I expect that I will see more than a few 40 weights probably 0w40 and 5w40. Which is most likely the what I will use as the CST specs are sort of similar to Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 from what I have seen with Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40.

Originally Posted By: gryffinwings
At the moment, my level of oil experience isn't very broad, especially in the realm of racing and spirited driving, I would like to keep this to oils that are easy to obtain. Currently the oils I'm familiar with at the moment for some momentary full throttle fun with my little CRX Si is with Valvoline Max Life 10w40 and Mobil 1 10w30. My car is speced for 10w40 weight, but from what I understand, the engine isn't very picky on what oil to use. When I used Valvoline Maxlife for a bit, I honestly didn't get much life from it, my car burned oil, it didn't feel like the engine was very responsive either. So I switched over to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, smoked has stopped as far as I can tell after a little running and the engine feels much more responsive. So for now Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, it seems pretty good, Mobil 1 list the HTHS as 3.5, so for oils that I will use later, that will be the base line. Also oil consumption is much reduced with this oil.

So for those of you that race or do spirited driving in the mountains or canyons, please share your experiences and knowledge. I expect that I will see more than a few 40 weights probably 0w40 and 5w40. Which is most likely the what I will use as the CST specs are sort of similar to Mobil 1 high mileage 10w30 from what I have seen with Mobil 1 FS 0w40 and Motul 8100 X-cess 5w40.

Your CRX is spec'd for 10W-40? What?

For spirited driving.. use full synthetic. The Mobil 1 should be fine.

M1 is thinner with the same HTHS, reduced consumption... I'm willing to bet you will return to it if you try anything different for one reason or another.

Originally Posted By: plaguef

Your CRX is spec'd for 10W-40? What?

For spirited driving.. use full synthetic. The Mobil 1 should be fine.

Yeah, my CRX Si is spec'd for 10w40 when not going below 32 degrees Fahrenheit or 0 degrees Celsius. Anyways I'm curious to know what others are using and their experiences for what specific oil they use.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
M1 is thinner with the same HTHS, reduced consumption... I'm willing to bet you will return to it if you try anything different for one reason or another.

Yeah it's bizarre, I went from the thicker oil to a thinner oil and I get less consumption even at higher RPM, with Valvoline Maxlife 10w40, I was getting a decent amount of smoke at start up, but I'm not getting that with the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, I wonder if the Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 is more volatile.

Anyways the only reason I would change is because I'd be changing to a higher performance engine DOHC 1.6 liter engine D16A1 which will be built fresh. What I might do for oil is use Mobil 1 FS 0w40, similar cSt specs to High Mileage 10w30 and better HTHS at 3.8. Anyways I won't know how the oil works until I do the build and run the oil. I've started to use cSt as a basis for comparing oil weights, since oil weights seem to have a range that they sit in.

You're going to have a hard time finding a better oil for spirited driving. The M1 HM is a thick 30 that will take lots of heat and has a good additive package. Plus it's available at Walmart. You don't need a 40 weight unless you are running extended high rpm, like on a track. Pair it with a Fram ultra and drive.

Honestly for an 87 CRX any synthetic 40 weight will do the trick. Plenty of 5 qt full synthetic options at Walmart for under $25. 0W-40 M1!has been used by professional racing teams with good success.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
You're going to have a hard time finding a better oil for spirited driving. The M1 HM is a thick 30 that will take lots of heat and has a good additive package. Plus it's available at Walmart. You don't need a 40 weight unless you are running extended high rpm, like on a track. Pair it with a Fram ultra and drive.

Yeah, I've had good luck with it so far with my current engine, but when I change to a the new rebuilt engine that I plan on, I'll like change to Mobil 1 FS 0w40, I don't like the idea of run high mileage oil in a fresh engine, just my opinion. Also if I plan to use Fram Ultras, I will have to switch over to remote reservoir setup so I can use a more common filter as the only Fram I can get is the TG3531 Tough Gaurd, and those are hard to get locally, Mostly all I can get are Wix for a decent price, either way I don't see this as a bad idea as this would make it easier to change filters and give me better options for filters.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Honestly for an 87 CRX any synthetic 40 weight will do the trick. Plenty of 5 qt full synthetic options at Walmart for under $25. 0W-40 M1!has been used by professional racing teams with good success.

I've been seeing a lot of Mobil 1 FS 0w40 users lately, I didn't know it was being used by professional racing teams! I heard the formulation was recently changed last year or something, so I'm looking for more VOA and UOA while I wait to do the engine build and install into my CRX Si.

Yeah it's bizarre, I went from the thicker oil to a thinner oil and I get less consumption even at higher RPM, with Valvoline Maxlife 10w40, I was getting a decent amount of smoke at start up, but I'm not getting that with the Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w30, I wonder if the Valvoline Maxlife 10w40 is more volatile.

Anyways the only reason I would change is because I'd be changing to a higher performance engine DOHC 1.6 liter engine D16A1 which will be built fresh. What I might do for oil is use Mobil 1 FS 0w40, similar cSt specs to High Mileage 10w30 and better HTHS at 3.8. Anyways I won't know how the oil works until I do the build and run the oil. I've started to use cSt as a basis for comparing oil weights, since oil weights seem to have a range that they sit in.

My opinion is you should stick with the M1 10w30 HM for your current engine.
The FS 0w40 would be nearly indistinguishable from it, because the HTHS dropped from 3.8 to 3.6 when they created the FS version.

I also haven't seen any race teams use the new FS formula, but it's nearly as good as the old formula (same according to Mobil) so it would be a fine choice. Another option is 0W-40 Castrol. Seems to withstand breaking down better than the new M1. Any of the 40-weight "euro" oils (LL-01, A40, 229.5) would be good options.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

My opinion is you should stick with the M1 10w30 HM for your current engine.
The FS 0w40 would be nearly indistinguishable from it, because the HTHS dropped from 3.8 to 3.6 when they created the FS version.

I could swear I was reading 3.8 on the Mobil 1 website a couple of days ago.

I also haven't seen any race teams use the new FS formula, but it's nearly as good as the old formula (same according to Mobil) so it would be a fine choice. Another option is 0W-40 Castrol. Seems to withstand breaking down better than the new M1. Any of the 40-weight "euro" oils (LL-01, A40, 229.5) would be good options.

Which Castro 0w40 oil are you talking about?

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 - A3/B4, LL-01, Porsche A40, MB 229.5, VW 502 00. Comes in a 5 qt jug at Walmart for $22-24

Are you talking about the Castrol EDGE with TITANIUM FST. It's the only one I am seeing on the Castrol Oil website for 0w40. Seems like a good one to use.

That's it

I'm trying to find Oil Analysis of this oil and I haven't been able to find much on it....

Originally Posted By: Olas
Redline is the best oil for engines that are used hard and get hot for extended periods.
This is true, but I think it would be way overkill for this application. I would go with M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40.

The best overall look-up stat is to see if it's on the Porsche A40 list. All those oils are for "spirited driving"
smile.gif

I'm trying to find Oil Analysis of this oil and I haven't been able to find much on it....

It's really frustrating when folks use a third party image hosting site for UOA sheets. Nearly everyone I found has a dead link.

Here is one for a 7,500 mile run with EDGE 0W-40 FST. The oil hardly broke down (13.5 to 12.3), although there was 1.5% fuel dilution, so the oil probably changed viscosity very little. Also note the non-existent bearing wear and (lead, copper, tin) and aluminum wear. Only outlier is the high iron, which I presume is not due to the oil given the very low numbers for other wear metals.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4228932/1/Castrol_Edge_0W-40_-_12k_kms_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back