Striker fired pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a striker fired pistol like Glock, S&W M&P, Ruger SR, H&K, XD etc -etc... When the gun is loaded with a round in the chamber is there a firing pin block safety so there is no way the firing pin could contact the bullet primer without trigger pull?

The Glock has a worm drive type firing pin. When you pull the trigger it drives the pin back until it get the end of the worm spin and fires. It's interesting. I bought a Glock way back before they were cool.
I can't speak for the rest but would bet they are on the same design due to the long trigger pull they have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
On a striker fired pistol like Glock, S&W M&P, Ruger SR, H&K, XD etc -etc... When the gun is loaded with a round in the chamber is there a firing pin block safety so there is no way the firing pin could contact the bullet primer without trigger pull?

That is absolutely correct.

In most striker fired pistols, Glock for example, the firing pin is also not "primed" or pulled back with tension under a spring until the trigger is pulled.

So the firing pin has zero tension and it is completely blocked off by metal from the primer until the trigger is pulled.

It literally can't fire without the trigger being pulled.

Originally Posted By: SKVenture

That is absolutely correct.

In most striker fired pistols, Glock for example, the firing pin is also not "primed" or pulled back with tension under a spring until the trigger is pulled.

So the firing pin has zero tension and it is completely blocked off by metal from the primer until the trigger is pulled.

It literally can't fire without the trigger being pulled.

A VERY innovative design, and REALLY set the trend for how new pistols are made & sold.

A Glock's firing pin is under tension when it's in battery but the spring isn't fully compressed. As the trigger is pulled the firing pin block is moved out of the way as the firing pin and the firing pin is pressed rearward until the sear releases.
The S&W M&P functions the same.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
The Glock has a worm drive type firing pin. When you pull the trigger it drives the pin back until it get the end of the worm spin and fires. It's interesting. I bought a Glock way back before they were cool.
I can't speak for the rest but would bet they are on the same design due to the long trigger pull they have.

33.gif

Not sure where you got that info but it is completely wrong.

The glock striker is driven backwards against spring pressure until the sear plate is cammed downward, causing the sear the lose its grip on the edge of striker, releasing it, which allows the striker to slam into the primer under power of the striker spring. There is no turning, spinning or twisting of anything involved.

It's pretty simple, there a striker block (#2 in the picture) between the firing pin and the primer and it's moved up and out of the way when the trigger is pressed by the top of the trigger bar. The trigger bar won't move unless the trigger safety is engaged (#3 in the image).

The Takeup slack in a the striker fired guns is the striker block being pushed up and out of the way before you hit the wall, which is often why people complain about striker fired triggers.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Skip about 3 minutes if you want to see the striker in action but the whole video is interesting.

Very cool..thanks to much!!

Just no.

Yes, the Glock pistols do have a firing pin safety. The pistol was designed with three passive safeties: Trigger Safety, Firing Pin Safety and the Drop Safety. All three make up the Glock's "Safe Action System."

Originally Posted By: Toros

Just no.

I can only hope he was kidding.
Because WOW ...

Or course, it might be similar to the planetary gears in my AR trigger?
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Or course, it might be similar to the planetary gears in my AR trigger?

Planetary gears huh? And all this time, I thought they looked more like cog gears with some kind of block and tackle.

I think he's referring to the new interlocking granistan joint in the disconnector. The only new principle involved is that it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive duractance. The original disconnect and safety mechanism had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric slide.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient striker shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the striker sleeve, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the trigger return.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent skor motion for sighting is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

06.gif

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
I think he's referring to the new interlocking granistan joint in the disconnector. The only new principle involved is that it's produced by the modial interaction of magneto-reluctance and capacitive duractance. The original disconnect and safety mechanism had a base plate of pre-famulated amulite surmounted by a malleable logarithmic casing in such a way that the two spurving bearings ran in a direct line with the panametric slide.

The line-up consisted simply of six hydrocoptic marzul vanes so fitted to the ambaphascient striker shaft that side fumbling was effectively prevented. The main winding was of the normal lotus-odeltoid type placed in panendurmic semi-bulloid slots of the striker sleeve, every seventh conductor being connected by a non-reversible tremmy pipe to the differential girdle spring on the up-end of the trigger return.

Moreover, whenever fluorescent skor motion for sighting is required, it may also be employed in conjunction with the drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal depleneration.

06.gif

Do you have a link to the original clip of the nonsense "engineering" speak? That guy was amazing!! I had it on my computer once, but re-imagining got it scrambled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back