Is this a good Hose Clamp (Camridge Resources/NAPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a leaking upper radiator hose. The hose was new 50k ago when I did the timing belt. The Mubea spring clamp wouldn't snug the new hose and I used a typical cheap hose clamp from a parts box of them I had. Fast forward 3 years and now it's weeping. I re-tightened it very snug (hose bulging into slots, but really only on one side), but it still weeps a drop or two overnight.

Is this "constant torque" clamp a solution:

Napa/Cambridge Resources hose clamp

Or a good all-around tension clamp of some type? I have a NAPA nearby and it's a lot easier than hunting down another Mubea/spring clamp.

I know it says CT clamp but the picture isn't one. So hopefully the picture is just wrong. Being NAPA the part should be decent and I'd go with it. Just inspect prior to purchase to see what it actually is.

You can get those clamps from McMaster-Carr

I think you'll find the spring will be COMPLETELY bottomed out by the time you get it tight enough, though.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know it says CT clamp but the picture isn't one. So hopefully the picture is just wrong. Being NAPA the part should be decent and I'd go with it. Just inspect prior to purchase to see what it actually is.

OK, that's what I couldn't figure out. I can't see how the pictured part would provide "constant torque," but have read that is a good option.

Looks like a worm clamp. Which need to be routinely tightened. So I'd keep looking for a true CT clamp. Hopefully just the picture is wrong.

I would look into a new hose hose too. If it was leaking at single digit winter temps I might try a new clamp but since its summer you might need both a hose and clamp.

I bought some fancy made in the USA hose clamps off Amazon. Garbage. No better than the cheap clamps you can get at Walmart. I'd use the OEM spring type if I knew the exact size to buy.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
I bought some fancy made in the USA hose clamps off Amazon. Garbage. No better than the cheap clamps you can get at Walmart. I'd use the OEM spring type if I knew the exact size to buy.

It would be really nice if you could tell us what brand and/or vendor that was.

I've had good luck with Breeze Constant Torque clamps. I happened to get them off of Amazon, which means almost nothing.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: Leo99

It would be really nice if you could tell us what brand and/or vendor that was.

I've had good luck with Breeze Constant Torque clamps. I happened to get them off of Amazon, which means almost nothing.

Breeze Power Seal stainless steel hose clamps. Maybe "garbage" is too strong a word but I didn't think they were anything special. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Last edited:
I would use a Gates shrink clamp, available at RockAuto. They are very good at preventing cold leaks. I have never had a hose clamped down with a shrink clamp ever leak.

As someone posted change the hose, get that Napa clamp and order some Hylomar M (google for best price ebay usually) put a thin bead around the hose necks and push the hose on with the clamp. The Hylomar will act as a short acting lube then firm up. You will never have a leak and unlike RTV it does not make removal difficult, the hose comes right off.
This is a very common issue especially with plastic necks, this will cure it every time. I use it on every job metal or plastic. Once you use this stuff I guarantee you will never be without a tube of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hylomar-M-Univer...738.m2548.l4275

BTW A Belleville multi washer spring as shown in the clamp you posted is strong and very long lasting, it retains tension for a long time through many cycles, some motorcycle clutches use a large single Belleville spring like this for the clutch because it exerts force uniformly over a wide area.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

OK, that's what I couldn't figure out. I can't see how the pictured part would provide "constant torque," but have read that is a good option.

The picture is correct and it does provide constant torque. Here is a good explanation of how it works:

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=63770

Old mechanic's trick is to use Permatex #2 inside the hose, then clamp it w/new clamp. Only problem from this is that you'll have to cut the hose off when it's time to replace it. I too would consider a new hose. It's already 3 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back