Nulon 25W-60 gonna have to hoard some of this...

I've run 25W70 in winter when I had the old Camira (J-Car)...but yes, this would NEVER be run straight in anything that I've got.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Low TBN, but it does say racing.

Workmate's BBC just ate a cam...I think Zinc and Mo in a cheap package might be the order...

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Shannow

What's not to like ?

Not available in North America??

I rather like that. Makes it more exclusive, somehow.

You guys get all the goodies.
frown.gif

The only stateside oil I can think of with zinc that high is Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 20W-50, at 1800. Possibly some Lucas racing oils might have that high of zinc, but I'm not familiar with them. I know VR-1 is around 1400 and Penngrade 1 is 1500.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's a bit thick don't ya think?
In the land down under every thing is upside down and they drive on the opposite side of the road hence the differences in engine oil viscosity needed.

Originally Posted By: Red91
The only stateside oil I can think of with zinc that high is Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 20W-50, at 1800. Possibly some Lucas racing oils might have that high of zinc, but I'm not familiar with them. I know VR-1 is around 1400 and Penngrade 1 is 1500.

Red Line motorcycle and race oils have over 2000 ppm of zinc and phosphorous.

I know right.

It's like a multivitamin supplement for regular oils.

Take a typical ILSAC synthetic oil, then add a touch of this stuff to give it some minerals and liven it up a bit.

Just a couple of words of caution here...

To make a 25W60 like this, the oil's going to have to contain an appreciable amount of Group I Bright Stock. For those that don't know, this is stuff that you get from the Propane De-Asphalthing of Vacuum Residue (the heaviest and blackest stuff you get from an oil refinery). It will be very high in sulphur, nitrogen and aromatics. There are no Group II, II+ or III equivalents of Bright Stock.

Now don't get me wrong. I personally like Bright Stock. A couple of percent in a PCMO can work wonders, especially for things like diesel piston cleanliness. However, because of their high benzylic hydrogen content, they can be extremely oxidatively unstable. A very high ZDDP treat and a splash of Moly will only go so far in mitigating the problem and the TBN is worryingly low. Just don't try extended oil drains on an oil like this. In fact check the dip stick frequently because when this oil breaks, it will likely break very quickly. Leave an oil like this in too long unchecked and you could easily see its KV100 top 4000 cst at which point, your problem becomes one of 'how do I drain this stuff from my engine?'.

Of course, as a blend component, this stuff is the mutt's nuts (which is how you might benefit most from it).

Last edited:
Joe, do you think a dash of something like this 25W-60 mixed in with a normal Group IiI synthetic would help clean stuck piston rings ?

If so how much would you add ? 10% as a starting guess ?

Would you add it to something very thin like Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 (GTL) or somthing with natural low volatility like Castrol Edge 10W30 (a ILSAC Group III) ?

Originally Posted By: SR5
Joe, do you think a dash of something like this 25W-60 mixed in with a normal Group IiI synthetic would help clean stuck piston rings ?

If so how much would you add ? 10% as a starting guess ?

Would you add it to something very thin like Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 (GTL) or somthing with natural low volatility like Castrol Edge 10W30 (a ILSAC Group III) ?

Yes. There's just something about Bright Stock that's great for rings. I might go for 20% with the Group III 10W30. Don't think about any Italian Tune-up's with the mixed oil; just lots of steady driving and lots of 'sit & soak' time so that the aromatics can do their job. Obviously same rules as before; check your dip stick and at the first sign of black, change the oil.

One other thought...

Can you get Shell HX5 10W30 in Oz? That might be a good oil to mix with the Nulon 25W60.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Don't think about any Italian Tune-up's with the mixed oil; just lots of steady driving and lots of 'sit & soak' time so that the aromatics can do their job.

What would you think of it for my workmate's white ute (shown in the video)...he does once per even OCIs, as the methanol gets past the rings.

(Currently using 20W60 from another manufacturer, and even though the cam went south, the film thickness appears to have prevented the bearings getting damaged by the grey paste)

Back