'16 Colorado v6 - RP 5w30 - 5102 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
2016 Colorado v6
Royal Purple 5w30
5,102 miles on oil
6,907 miles on motor

Still breaking in! Too much iron.
Viscosity (both 1st FF oil and your RP) dropped quite a bit, but nothing hazardous.
Suggest getting a Dimple or GoldPlug magnetic drain plug and installing a Royal Purple or Fram Ultra oil filter to get smaller stuff (0.3 solubles might drop).

Thanks for the feedback. When I bought the 12 qts of RP I also purchased two K&N filters. After this next round I'll switch to the Fram Ultra, running that on my other cars. As for drain plug, I just installed a Fumoto drain valve, bc I am lazy (also I moved and haven't purchased my lift yet).

Oil sheared over 20%. From 10.4 to 8.0. I may consider something else after you've used up your stash of RP.

I am new to UOA, the shearing would show in the results of "cSt Viscosity @ 100*C" ? Where does 10.4 come from? A VOA?

Also I see "SUS Viscosity @ 210*F" looks out of range as well.

Last edited:
Correct. 10.4 is what it is new (from RP's website) and it came out at 8.0. This means the oil broke down and became thinner (can also happen due to fuel dilution, which you don't have). Usually oils shear a bit and then start to thicken as they oxidize and accumulate soot.

Is it true oils shear more in newer engines??? If the micro-surface topology is shedding iron, the machining marks getting polished down, etc., it does seem thats a mechanically stressful environment.

Your engine is still way to new to really nit pick and look into this report to deeply. At 9k miles on my last report the engine was still breaking in with slight lead and Ok/ish copper ppm. Its good to start trend early on but honestly I dont think we will see stuff level off trend wise till around 30k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back