Red Line 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
5msVghV.jpg

I had Polaris Labs perform an analysis on virgin Red Line 10W-30 after having them look at the oil out of my NSX: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4444331/Red_Line_10W-30,_1992_Acura_NS

Heck if I run low on Lubegard Biotech this would make as a fair substitute for sure at 3 ounces per qt formula.

Last edited by a moderator:
TBN 13.9!!!

What's interesting about the 10w30 is that the specs on Redline's site actually say that the 5w30 has a higher HTHS at 3.7 than does the 10w30 at 3.5.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
TBN 13.9!!!

What's interesting about the 10w30 is that the specs on Redline's site actually say that the 5w30 has a higher HTHS at 3.7 than does the 10w30 at 3.5.

But remember, it's only good for 3000 miles at the most
smile.gif

Yeah, I was looking at the 5W-30 oil recently and noticed that, too. The numbers are kind of confusing, really. Part of me wonders if I shouldn't give the 5W-30 a try, but at my temperatures (Houston) I can't imagine it matters.

3000 miles at the most? I know that is the case with there race oils but there street oil last longer than that. If there's something I didn't know let me know.

Disregard. VOA finally popped up.

I still question their levels of anti-foam "silicon."

I would not use more than 5ppm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Mobil 1 racing oil VOA's, both 0/30 and 0/50 have more than 14 silicon. As do other high preformance and racing oils, some motorcycle oils also have high(more than 7) silicon numbers in their VOA. One thing I do, is look at a VOA and see what my UOA silicon numbers are, if my UOA silicon is about the same as the VOA then I know my air filter is doing it's job.

ROD

spiderbypass, I think there some pretty big lab error must have occurred. 13.9 TBN seems way too large for the ~2800 PPM of calcium and 8.6 TBN seems too low for the 3460 calcium in the other oil. In fact, 3460 calcium is much higher than what's normally in Red Line 5W-30 or 10W-30, so that may be more in error than the 8.6 TBN.

Mola, is "all" silicon abrasive even as anti foam, or only the silicon that results from dirt (and, don't laugh at this- will dirt Si have the same effect on anti foam as the Si in the add pack?)? I'm asking mainly because I just read a paper about the "smoothing" properties of submicronic W and Mo compounds when used in lubricating oils, and knowing that OAs are looking at tiny particles as well- not saying Si would have the same smoothing properties but do you recommend low levels because it may result in more abrasive wear and/or scuffing at levels higher than 5ppm?

NO, silicon from dirt will NOT have anti foaming effects. It's a proxy for SiO2 and other silicates in dirt, which are abrasives.
Anti foaming Si is a component of silanes where Si takes the place of carbon in organic compounds. Kind of like the difference between (inorganic) carbonates and organic carbon containing compounds.

Originally Posted by MolaKule

Any thoughts on where the Na is coming from? Seems kind of high?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back