RF-1200 VS Shark Speed R Series 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at getting a new premium helmet. Currently using an Icon Alliance GT. I've narrowed it down to a few lids I'm interested in. The Shoei RF-1200, Shark Speed R Series 2 and the Bell Star. Price on these is around the same $400-500 on sale. RF 1200 is legendary, supposedly quiet etc. Shark is Premium out of France and ranks top on the UK Sharp safety tests. The Bell is Cutting edge with the option to get the multi layer EPS.

I'm a size small and an Intermediate oval shape. I've tried on the RF1200 and it felt decent as does the Bell. I'm having trouble finding the Shark Locally to try, but I like that it has the internal sun visor like my Alliance GT has.

The RF-1200 is DOT/Snell as is the Bell. The Shark is DOT/ECE 22.05 rated. Those of you that own these share with me your opinions. I may also consider an HJC RPHA 11 pro as well, However keep in mind I ride a mostly upright Naked sport bike and the HJC is considered a racing/tuck helmet I believe.

Last edited:
My experience with Shark helmets hasn't been good - I have an Evoline 3 (flip front), and can only wear it for about half an hour, as for some reason it puts lots of pressure on my forehead, even leaves a big red mark. And to be honest, it feels a bit cheaply built. The visor often pops open if I do a head check at highway speeds. I haven't worn the model you're interested in, but if I were you I'd take a close look at one in the flesh before deciding.

My everyday helmet is a new Shoei GT Air. Despite Shoei's claims, I don't find it all that quiet. It is extremely comfortable though, and also has the internal sun visor like your current helmet - maybe it's worth considering over the RF-1200. Shoei stuff is, in my opinion, amongst the best quality out there, they just feel solidly built.

Have never used a Bell so can't comment on them. I would also have a look at Arai if I were you, they are right up there with Shoei.

I am a new rider so my only experience is with the RF-1200. What I like most about it is the comfort level. I could wear that thing all day long. The cooling design/ vent layout is superb. I don't sweat even in stop and go traffic in 90 degree weather. I would recommend it.

FWIW, I ride a Tiger 800 XC.

I've been fortunate to try a range of helmet brands and models at speed, on a closed course. So far, Arai is still my choice for street and track. Corsair-X for the track, and Quantum-X for the street.

started with a cheap LS2 Stream, moved up to the Shoei RF-1200 and love it. Can't comment on the others but you can't go wrong with the Shoei..as long as you're an intermediate oval, like you said.

Sharks tend to be light helmets, and it makes sense being DOT/ECE. Shoei tend to be heavy, and it make sense being Snell.

If it fit properly I'd go with light weight all day long.

Bell and Shoei have one huge advantage though: the Transitions faceshield as an option. After I got my custom fit Bell with a Transitions faceshield I pretty much didn't wear anything else.

The drop down sun shield I guess makes Transitions less important. But Transitions is awesome nonetheless, and works well in pretty much all conditions.

Originally Posted By: hpb
My experience with Shark helmets hasn't been good - I have an Evoline 3 (flip front), and can only wear it for about half an hour, as for some reason it puts lots of pressure on my forehead, even leaves a big red mark.

That's because it doesn't fit you. Not the right shape (or maybe size) for your head. Most helmets do that to me.

Some people will remove EPS to customize the fit. I'm sure manufacturers would recommend against. But it's not uncommon. Sanding away a little EPS may fix it.

I have the Arai Defiant, it does cost more than anything on your list, but it seems perfect for a naked style bike. The only helmet I have tried from your list is the RF-1200, which I used to have. I like the Arai much more. It fits my head better, and the ventilation is way better. I haven't tried any of the others on your list.

All the closout sharks were gone in my size so I went with the RF1200 in the Indy Marquez graphic. It should be cool since I was at the moto GP in Indy that he won in 2014 and 2015.

If I end up not loving it I still have a great Icon that I like.

The lid on the left is a Shark RSR2 Duhamel. The one behind my cat is a Shoei rf 1100. In my closet is a wrecked Arai corsair Edwards.

jKKlqXH.jpg

I would rate my helmets

comfort

1. Bell Star (normally wear large but medium fits better for me) EXCELLENT ventilation. Only ever so slightly heavier than the Shark
2. Shark RSR2 (best fit for racing best inner material) OK ventilation quieter than the Bell. Lightest lid I own

3. Vemar Eclipse (my go to non summer street riding lid) nearly non existent ventilation but VERY quiet

4. Shoei (mostly because of the lower rear spoiler constantly jamming against my jacket and cutting off the bluetooth connection). Vents slightly better than the Shark but is significantly quieter. Needed thicker cheek pads to tighten up the fit. Would probably be my best all around helmet if it didn't have that stupid lower rear spoiler.

Build quality

1. Shoei despite having the most use out of all my helmets it has held up the best. The artwork is WAY higher quality than the current RF1200 version. google "Shoei RF1100 Diabolic Revelation". The new one is terrible in person.

2. Shark: mechanically all vents and chin strap still working nice and tight despite being the oldest of the lot. Excellent silk screened artwork with gold flake and VERY thick paint covering its carbon fiber shell.

3. Vemar: vents and controls still working nice and tight but is only two years old. Inner liner uses memory foam and has broken in very nicely. Only mishap was upper vent breaking off after it rolled off my couch and into my metal coffee table..epoxy fixed it though.

4. Bell: first the good. I despise the artwork but it is VERY high quality and the textured paint still looks as good as the day I bought it 7 years ago. Now the bad..............................the controls have not held up over the years. They constantly close themselves and every few miles I find myself checking them to make sure they stay open. The worst part has got to be the fact that material covering the bottom of the neck roll is wearing away and it leaves black stains on collared shirts that require using strong cleaners to get rid of. The bell is now used only when Im wearing my black Dainese leather jacket. It does not get used when riding back and forth to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back