Honda Pilot 2016 Cold engine nocking at low rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've recently noticed that overnight engine makes this knocking sound whenever you slightly tap the gas pedal with revs going up to 1,100-1,200. Higher rpm and idle sounds perfectly normal. But with added gas it sounds like Diesel engine. Anyway, once it warms up to operating temperature it completely goes away. Car has only 9k on the clock and has been trough 3 oil changes with the last being synthetic. Anyone else noticing same behavior on their engines?

Things that come to mind.

Lugging.. the rpm is too low for the load.

possibly injector noise? from the direct injection.

Mild piston slap??

Originally Posted By: Rand
possibly injector noise? from the direct injection.

Mild piston slap??

What I was thinking too.

Oil level's good? And why so many oil changes in only 9k miles??

I started up a 2017 Pilot at the dealer with an msrp of $40k. It had sat over night and upon start up I was kind of surprised how loud it was. At the time I thought it was the injectors. Much better inside the cabin. It really clacks away when idling.

Oil level is good and always was good. Had first changed at 4k, then another 4k run on the dealer blend and finally made last oil change with Mobil 1AFE. MM would drop to 30% first two fills (mostly short trips with stop and go).
It is pretty loud. Louder then DI noise. So not even sure what to think of. Can the engine develop piston slap that early in its life?

Mine sounds pretty normal when idling (even cold). But once you slightly tap the gas pedal it knocks.So, 1100-1300 rpm is the range when it knocks. Anywhere above or below just normal. Once it warms up knock disappears.

I did. They say engine is perfectly ok and they can't hear anything.
i'm not trying to speculate or solve the problem online. I'm looking for the feedback from the members who has experienced this before. I think that's what the forum is about - share the knowledge.

Perhaps its the oil filter? When I first bought my former Lexus many years ago, it had a Fram oil filter and sometimes it knocked a little on an old cold start. Changed the oil and filter and the problem never reappeared.
It's a long shot, but worth mentioning.

Don't fiddle around with filters and different oils its all pi$$in in the wind for the most part take it to the dealer. Noise from bad ADBV goes away as soon as the engine receives oil, a pitted cam lobe from improper hardening or break in, piston slap and a few other internals can cause engine noise cold and go quieter when warm.

Piston slap pertains to your rod ratio, which is doesn't change. Since we don't know the length of the connecting rods, we can't figure this out and we don't need to.
Prefer the easy route, which is probably the most uninformed. Could be a cold start hardware/software setup. I know on Subarus there is a device called a "tumble valve generator"(TGV) that helps with cold start emissions and idle. Without delving into all the details of its operation, I know that the TGV's activation creates a substantial amount of unpleasant noise similar to a an engine being very low on oil. Taking into account the V6 in your Pilot and how it achieves its performance and that it has i-vtec there is probably a condition purposely occurring to create more intake velocity in the heads to better atomize the fuel in a cold environment(before engine is warmed up). I know this response is low on details but I hope it helps.

I'm not a big fan of dealing with dealerships. Eventually I will have to I guess

Since you don't have the typical service need I'd ask for the service manager and deal with them. Plus you won't have an advisor trying to SELL you stuff.

Even if they say its "normal" you want your concern documented and you want a copy. You never know, that little piece of paper could save you a small fortune down the road..

I've had it in already and they couldn't replicate it. Now I know the exact circumstances the noise is present they will have no choice but admit. Honestly, it just sucks that deal with that people, most of the service advisors are useless. And I hate waisting my time bring the car in and waiting to hear "oh this is normal". Anyway, I got another 5yrs and 70Kmiles of warranty. I'll bring it in when it [censored] out

and here is what it sounds like...
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back