Change oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a k&n oil filter when I did my last change. Changed the oil with rotella t6 and have about 500 miles on it but I'm really wanting to trying mobil 4t. Can I get away without buying another filter or do i have to change it

You worry too much. If you want to change the oil and leave the filter then have at it. Don't take the filter off to drain it, just change the oil.

Then let us know what happened. We'll be waiting.........

I've just heard people on here saying not to mix oils. I would be mixing if I don't change it so I wasn't sure

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You worry too much. If you want to change the oil and leave the filter then have at it. Don't take the filter off to drain it, just change the oil.

Agreed!
However:

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Why waste good oil? Change to Mobil 4T on your next OCI.

Exactly. No need to waste good oil.

BTW, most oil filters will go 2 OCI's easily if the engine is clean, and Honda recommends it.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I purchased a k&n oil filter when I did my last change. Changed the oil with rotella t6 and have about 500 miles on it but I'm really wanting to trying mobil 4t. Can I get away without buying another filter or do i have to change it

Leave the filter, change the oil, I could see myself doing the same and personally I think you will be thrilled with the 4t over the T6 simply because the 4T is more stout.
I would be glad to see what you think of the 4T after a few hundred miles compared to the T6.

Last edited:
I've just heard people on here saying not to mix oils. I would be mixing if I don't change it so I wasn't sure
Who said that ? How do you know what people post is actual fact or regurgitated fiction? There are people here that actually know and then the rest that think they know.

Why waste good oil? Change to Mobil 4T on ur next OCI.

+1, leave the current oil in there until it's got some miles on it. Your Mobil 1 won't go bad waiting to be used.

Exactly.

T6 is a great oil.

Its nuts to change it at 500 miles just so you can run M1.

I have never heard of such a thing over motor oil.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I'd rather run a solid filter for a longer time than a questionable filter for a short time.

What makes his filter questionable?

Oh for Gods sakes!!! One, use the dang oil life up. Two, if you do change and your so worried about mixing two oils (which I highly doubt matters), then pull off the filter and drain it. The gasket WILL survive (contrary to the worry warts on this site).

It's impossible to not mix oils during any oil change, even if you change the filter and leave the sump draining for a week. There will always be some old oil left in the crankcase, often a not so insignificant amount.

The service manual for your bike should show different oil quantities - the difference between the 'engine overhaul/disassembled' and 'with filter change' numbers is the amount of oil that you cannot change.

On my bike, it's 3/4 of a quart, which is nearly 3 times the amount of oil in the filter.

So don't sweat mixing oils - you cannot avoid it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Leave the filter, change the oil, I could see myself doing the same and personally I think you will be thrilled with the 4t over the T6 simply because the 4T is more stout.

You could be thrilled without actually wasting the T6

"Gasp! Soooooooo stout!"

See, that was the sound of me being thrilled by 4T's previously-unkown-to-me-stoutness, and I've never even seen any, AFAIK.

PS What is "stoutness", anyway?

Originally Posted By: Ducked

"Gasp! Soooooooo stout!"

See, that was the sound of me being thrilled by 4T's previously-unkown-to-me-stoutness, and I've never even seen any, AFAIK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
I'd rather run a solid filter for a longer time than a questionable filter for a short time.

What makes his filter questionable?

At some point I thought that this thread was about choosing a Chinese filter. Now that I look at the thread, this is no longer the case. So my post should be disregarded, thanks for calling me to task.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

"Gasp! Soooooooo stout!"

OK, That'd do it.

I think you had better run a stout filter. A solid filter is going to be in bypass all the time.

Exactly.

T6 is a great oil.

Its nuts to change it at 500 miles just so you can run M1.

I have never heard of such a thing over motor oil.

Personally I think T6 is a garbage experience with a shared sump bike. Sure, it turns good wear numbers but so do a lot of oils. What good does that do it you have garbage clunky shifting as the oil shears which T6 is famous for.
No 5w oil belongs in a shared sump bike and the closer to 20w the better for shift quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back