Sliding glass doors...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Low E glass does reduce solar heating. It is quite pleasant to be behind Low E windows in bright sunlight.

However, sliding glass doors take a beating. So argon filled, double pane glass sliding doors run a higher risk of eventually losing it's seal and fogging up.

san-diego-foggy-window.jpg

Last edited:
Check your codes - even if CA doesn't require it, your municipality might.

You may need a builder's/remodeler permit from the inspection department at your city. If you are in an evil, evil, evil, "HOA" (many Texas homes are) you need a permit from them as well before modifying ANY exterior parts of your home.

Another interesting option is to use a single pane version of hurricane resistant glass in sliding doors. It will never fog up. We do that here in Florida to avoid having to install hurricane panels. Due to it's thickness, it insulates fairly well, and it's tough as nails. Criminals can't break through it easily.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Check your codes - even if CA doesn't require it, your municipality might.

You may need a builder's/remodeler permit from the inspection department at your city. If you are in an evil, evil, evil, "HOA" (many Texas homes are) you need a permit from them as well before modifying ANY exterior parts of your home.

A permit from an HOA?? I'm assuming you mean permission / OK / approval. If not, that sounds like something Barney Fife would be running.

Noise or heat that you worry about, Windows or doors?

Check if your frames would accommodate triple glazed sealed unit

Originally Posted By: Vuflanovsky

A permit from an HOA?? I'm assuming you mean permission / OK / approval. If not, that sounds like something Barney Fife would be running.

Call it what you want.... it's still a lost freedom.

My ex-in-laws live in an HOA. (we're still friends)
EVERY SINGLE FEATURE of the home that's visible from the exterior (front, sides AND back) requires permission from them if there is ANY CHANGE (even replacing like with identical like)

A signed permission form must be received and present during work.
if that doesn't meet the definition of a "permit"... then what does?

Oh, and the dues are $135 a month! ($1,620 a year)... that's insane

I could not live is a home governed by an HOA. A friend at work left on an emergency basis to take care of his mother. I picked him up at the airport when he returned several weeks later and drove him home. He discovered that the timer on his lawn sprinklers failed to work. This was August in Southern California and his lawn evidently started turning brown. The HOA hired their landscaper to fix the sprinklers, green up the lawn and trim everything including removing several plants. They had an emergency phone number but never called. His lawn greened up like crazy but was dead a month later. He got the bill and a fine for all this and later fined again because he hired his own landscaper to redo everything but without written permission. His neighbors went out of their way to compliment him on his new landscaping. Problem, it was not approved and he was forced to tear it all out and start over with an approved plan. He got a plan approved and redid it all. The new landscaping pass muster but he was fined again because his landscaper was not on their approved list. His next move you ask? He put out a "for sale" sign and you guessed it. Fined again. He finally sold the place and moved out toward the sticks like the rest of us "normal"(lol) people.

^Two sides to every story. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. Yes some places have rules about no for sale signs in the yard. Your friend should have read the bylaws/rules and obeyed them if he didn't want to be fined. The whole landscaping thing sounds like a soap opera.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
^Two sides to every story. Somewhere in the middle is the truth. Yes some places have rules about no for sale signs in the yard. Your friend should have read the bylaws/rules and obeyed them if he didn't want to be fined. The whole landscaping thing sounds like a soap opera.

I was fined/in violation because one crack in a garage door window: it was visible only from 2-3 feet away....

Care to join the geriatric HOA committee? (I have all the respect for persons and old people that still keep active after retirement; not when spending their time to make others miserable).

You do know there have been reports of HOA boards inventing laws out of thin air even against existing laws, don't you?

I read this over lunch, but didn't have an opportunity to reply.

Since this is a car forum, lets compare it to cars.. I vote the more luxury an item has, the less reliable it is. It's safe to assume a base model car would have less things going wrong over it's life than it's fully loaded big brother.

x2 on sliding doors taking a beating. Her 'rents have one that is used as the main door.. ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back