6L80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any one installed an external oil filter in one of those transmissions? Dropped the pan on my 2015 sierra with only 35k miles had a nice coat of metal glitter built up all on the inside, magnet was pretty loaded as well. Nothing out of the ordinary, but still, makes one wonder if an external filter would be a good addition. Plenty of room to plumb one some place just not sure if tapping into a cooler line is a good idea.

First change will have more material due to breaking in. An external transmission cooler, or larger one, would add more life than a external filter.

Jim I would have to respectfully disagree, factory cooler is an excellent heat exchanger. External unit will add no benefit.

How is the material on the bottom of the pan going to get to the remote filter without being trapped in the internal filter?
I think the solution, if there is a problem, is to install a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly
How is the material on the bottom of the pan going to get to the remote filter without being trapped in the internal filter?
I think the solution, if there is a problem, is to install a drain plug on the bottom of the oil pan.

Its the materiel that internal filter isn't catching that I'm trying to filter out.

If there's clearance in the pan I'd add extra magnets, filters can't catch the small stuff, and getting
metal particles out of the oil helps prevent wear, sticking and other damage in the tight clearances
of the valve body.

GM already admitted they used crummy magnets in a whole slew of trannies, search "4T65E magnet" there's a
GM TSB that covers several GM models.....

Originally Posted By: JeePing

Its the materiel that internal filter isn't catching that I'm trying to filter out.

The factory in pan filter is maybe 100 microns at best. It's pretty coarse.

I added a 10 micron inline spin on WIX filter from my spare "hydraulic log splitter parts stash". If you need a filter & filter head, I'll sell you one cheap.

As long as the the new filter doesn't add any leaks the extra filtration is only a positive especially if you using some very efficient like a Fram Ultra which can hit 80% @ 5 microns, much better than the internal felt fitler

Ok at this point does any one know or have a fluid flow diagram of this trans? Adding a ~15 psi restriction inline with the cooler will have any adverse effect on how transmission operate?

Linctex, what transmission you installed your filter on?

How much pressure do you have now in your cooler lines?

Don't have a clue, was hoping to get lucky and someone with knowledge of this trans would give me an answer. Doesn't look like it, have to go digging on google.

I don't know if that fluid is used to operate the trans/perform other functions with in it, or it just simply dumps back in the sump.

Last edited:
The filter may reduce flow to the cooler, will this affect your warranty or cause the transmission to overheat?
We are not talking using 5W30 instead of 0W20 here, this is a visible modification to the vehicle.

Adding a ~15 psi restriction inline with the cooler will have any adverse effect on how transmission operate?

Where on earth did you get that info from?!?!?!!?

There is ZERO restriction.
It's the same filter used on a freakin' 16HP log splitter, with like 8-10 gpm flow or something like that!

It's on a 4R75E, but with 3/4 NPT ports it'll flow as well as any big truck/bus trans would need!

My spin on Wix is about 8X the capacity of these Magnafine inline transmission filters.

Magnefine_Auto%20Transmission%20_Filter_1_2.jpg

I do have one older filter head that uses 3/4 inch NPT thread fittings, which flow about 10 times more than your typical transmission cooler line does…...

I also have several of these heads, which are 1–1/4" NPT ..... yes, the ports are absolutely huge & would need a pretty good size reducer bushing to get down to the size you would need for a transmission cooler line. The Baldwin BT 839–10 filter is rated to 10 µm, & I think the WIX I have on my truck is possibly 20 µm

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Adding a ~15 psi restriction inline with the cooler will have any adverse effect on how transmission operate?

Where on earth did you get that info from?!?!?!!?

There is ZERO restriction.
It's the same filter used on a freakin' 16HP log splitter, with like 8-10 gpm flow or something like that!

It's on a 4R75E, but with 3/4 NPT ports it'll flow as well as any big truck/bus trans would need!

uhh...fluid wont flow as freely through a filter as it does through a pipe...there will be few psi delta across inlet/outlet. Bypass on a fram is around 12-13 psi, thats where my 15psi number comes from. So if for some reason filter gets clogged bypass will require 15psi to keep oil cooler flowing. Worst case it will add 15psi restriction. You need to take a chill pill. And no one is gona plumb that silly looking monstrosity with a 3/4 npt inlet.

THIS^^^^ Heavy metals & Friction material falls/settles on the bottom of the pan, Pulling the pan disturbs the sediment making the fluid condition look far worse than it really is.

IF GM/Hydramatic were to put a filter after the suction/sump filter.....The LAST place they would put it is in the cooler circuit....It would be in the Actuator Feed/Control Main circuit.

The Allison 1000 in my GMC has an external spin-on filter. I've changed it 3X in 80K miles, the 1st time @ 6k miles and the last time @ 60K miles when I changed the fluid to an approved TES 295.
The 8L90E in the CTS-V has additional lines to the diff for cooling in addition to the normal lines to the front of the car. No external filter is listed on the Delco site for either the 8L90E or new 10L80.
The 8L90E is 44 lbs. lighter than the 6L80E and more efficient, an option that will pay for itself in fuel savings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back