Motorcraft becoming Omnicraft???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Omnicraft is for competitive make vehicles, so anything that doesn't also fit a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury. The rollout to dealers has been a giant Charlie Foxtrot, everything is either not yet available or on backorder with no date off. Motorcraft oil filter part numbers that did not fit Fords like a FL-2030 no longer exist and are replaced by Omnicraft part numbers that are unobtainium. Ford knows the dealers are not interested in carrying them, especially since their order form did not list what vehicles the part numbers fit, just percentage of the market they might cover.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Seems like there was a car named Omni at one time. I think it might've been called the Omni Horizon.
dodge made the omni. Plymouth
Sold it as the horizon

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Seems like there was a car named Omni at one time. I think it might've been called the Omni Horizon.
Sold it as the horizon

This... Had an Omni "Euro" back in the day. Loved that ugly thing. Died at 220k mi.
Mike B

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Omnicraft is for competitive make vehicles, so anything that doesn't also fit a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury. The rollout to dealers has been a giant Charlie Foxtrot, everything is either not yet available or on backorder with no date off. Motorcraft oil filter part numbers that did not fit Fords like a FL-2030 no longer exist and are replaced by Omnicraft part numbers that are unobtainium. Ford knows the dealers are not interested in carrying them, especially since their order form did not list what vehicles the part numbers fit, just percentage of the market they might cover.

John Deere has attempted a similar "All Makes-All Parts" program by aligning themselves with A&I Parts and Sunbelt: https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/58308_BannerPromotionKit_Module.htm

With John Deere's reputation for high parts prices, I don't think many people go to the JD dealer seeking parts to repair their Massey, New Holland, or Kubota.

Yeah - they were piles of garbage.

Pretty much everyone things it would have been better to just call them Motorcaft which is at least a name the public recognizes. Much like what GM does with ACDelco.

The problem with the Omnicraft is they want us to order through regular Ford channels. I stock a bunch of parts that sell for Fords so that is not an issue. But when someone brings in a competitive make vehicle I have a cornucopia of options for parts. Now I do try to use OE when possible, but more importantly is those customers want their car done the same day for as cheap as possible.

The problem with the Omnicraft is they want us to order through regular Ford channels. I stock a bunch of parts that sell for Fords so that is not an issue. But when someone brings in a competitive make vehicle I have a cornucopia of options for parts. Now I do try to use OE when possible, but more importantly is those customers want their car done the same day for as cheap as possible.

Yeah, I really don't see how that's going to appeal to most dealers. Our used car department changes tastes on a whim...one week Mercedes/BMW, the next Dodge Chargers. I do stock some common AC Delco oil filters for cars I know we'll get in, but I don't want to keep track of a whole bunch of parts for everything. Most used car department stuff I buy comes from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Advance because they want it now now now. We have an AC Delco/Motorcraft/Mopar/some other stuff place called Southern Distributors in town that stocks a whole lot of everything, usually at dealer cost and sometimes less, so I just buy a lot of common stuff from them. I can buy a Motorcraft PCV tube for my Ranger and my stock of Dexcool on the same PO through their website, nice and easy. I needed a vent solenoid for an '05 Silverado from them at 4:00 today and had it on my counter at 4:30.

What kind of catalog is Ford giving you for this? Something electronic and easy to order from? I have books for AC Delco, so usually I use the online catalog Southern Distributors has. Since I'm already in their catalog, I just order from them.

There is a webpage link somewhere on FMCdealer. I have it bookmarked at work but have only used it a couple times. I have a FAD that will deliver ACDelco 5-6 times a day at GM dealer cost. One of them carries a bunch of other brands plus I have other parts vendors.

My biggest gripe is when service brings in something like a VW or Volvo for an oil change and the RO is written at 730AM and they give it to us at 430PM to get parts. Its like "you guys do realize that if you give me time I can get the parts cheaper instead of paying $9.49/qt for Mobil 0W40 from OReilly's right."

Originally Posted By: Skeet6
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Sold it as the horizon

This... Had an Omni "Euro" back in the day. Loved that ugly thing. Died at 220k mi.
Mike B
my moms needed bearings @ about 50k. It went to the scrapper with 94k on it

The Omni Euro was very rare,as was the Omni Miser.Largely these were 1 year wonders.1981.The Euro later became the base Omni and Chrysler gave up making Omni Americas highest gas mileage car...the Miser was manual steering,4 speed manual tranny with econo gearing,and not much else.Low price though.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Omni Euro.. That had a VW engine, no?

The early ones had the VW engine and the later ones had Chrysler's own 2.2, which was a better engine.

My dad's one and only MoPar in his whole life (so far) was a brand new 1978 Omni. You should have seen the steering column vibrate when it idled, it was comical. Poor little turd was worn out at 60k miles and got traded in on a 1982 Cutlass Supreme.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

John Deere has attempted a similar "All Makes-All Parts" program by aligning themselves with A&I Parts and Sunbelt: https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/58308_BannerPromotionKit_Module.htm

With John Deere's reputation for high parts prices, I don't think many people go to the JD dealer seeking parts to repair their Massey, New Holland, or Kubota.

Aligning? I assumed it was just Deere's way of horning in on another sector of the market, that way they can better control it and glean profit from it.

We're an A&I dealer and personally, I'm not impressed. Parts quality is all over the board (from combine corn head parts to old school tractor engine parts). At least belts, mower blades and a few other things are decent and cheap...

Will Rock Auto carry Omnicraft?
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back